Traveling Within Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2011, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 4 girls in our 20's and we are trying to figure out the best way to get around in Thailand.

We have 16 days excluding travel days. We are landing in Bangkok and want to head to Chiang Mai, Koh Phangan and Phuket.

The plan is from Bangkok to head north, then to head straight to the islands.

Is it best to fly (Bangkok Airlines) between the cities to save time, or to take road travel (trains and buses) to save money. All the flights cost $500US total for each of us when converted.

How much of an inconvenience is the ground travel? Maybe a combination of flights and trains/buses would work best.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 08:59 PM

You have 16 days, I'd do Bangkok, Chiang Mai/North and one island destination (preferably Phuket to see Phi Phi, Krabi, Ko Lanta, etc.). You don't want to spend your valuable vacation time packing, checking out, traveling, checking in, unpacking, etc. But then again it's your time ...

It's best to fly, and Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass Coupons should be used as follows: BKK-CNX-USM-BKK for around $300 for each one of you.

If you add Phuket, it would be BKK-CNX-HKT-USM-BKK and it would be around $450/person.

http://www.bangkokair.com/en/plan-yo...ry-airpass.php
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:43 AM

The Bangkok Air Discovery Pass is one way to economize on air travel. Even less expensive would be using Air Asia. Ground travel is simply slow. How much of your vacation do you want to spend on buses?
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:46 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that Air Asia doesn't fly to Koh Samui. Personally, I recommend you choose one beach area so you can relax and enjoy it rather than packing up again and flying elsewhere. ALso, the flights to/from Koh Samui are the most expensive.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:50 AM

Fly..Look at air asia also. It will take you the better part of a day to change location. Trains and buses to the places you are going will take a lot longer, plus the inconvience of co-ordinating schedules.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:19 AM

Air Asia is good and I have used it several times: no-frills, comfortable, and affordable. However, as far as your trip is concerned, they fly to/from Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket only. If you plan to include Ko Samui, you have to fly from BKK to Surat Thai (URT) and then take the bus/ferry combo service for around $10/person to Samui. This entails a 60 minute bus ride to Donsak pier followed by a 90 minute ferry crossing. Tickets are sold by agents the URT airport. That's another reason to skip Samui on this trip and for the island portion, do Phuket and its environs instead … unless, of course, the full moon party at Koh Phangan is the highlight of your trip
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips. The full moon party is the reason for Koh Phangan. We thought we should experience it once in our life.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:53 AM

don't forget about luggage restrictions on air asia---20's women...
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

I have looked into the Bangkok airlines discovery pass.

How do I go about buying these? And do I make reservations for flights? Or just show up at the airport?
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM

You must buy the pass before you get to Thailand. Make reservations for the flights you want - these fares are capacity-controlled. You can do it via email or via calling the toll-free number. There are plenty of posts here about buying the Discovery Pass