Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Ubud: Alam Shanti or Kupu Kupu Barong (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/ubud-alam-shanti-or-kupu-kupu-barong-448598/)

Robbietravels Oct 27th, 2008 08:07 PM

Ubud: Alam Shanti or Kupu Kupu Barong

I'm trying to choose between these two lovely spots. Bob, the Gangga room is available for our dates and so is an Agung River Pool Villa at KKB. KKB is twice the cost of Alam Shanti. So what would make it worth the price??
I seek beautiful, serene setting with villa done in Balinese woods, lots of space, great views of the river gorge, intimate atmosphere, really good food and service. Unusual requirements, no? I like being a bit outside Ubud, in or near a village is perfect for me.
Actually, I can also get what I want at Komaneka Tang but Marmott's post about the surrounding development there turned me off to the place

Gpanda Oct 28th, 2008 01:55 AM

The Alam Shanti does not overlook a giver gorge. The Gaanga room view is of a working rice field. We stayed there before Bob and thought it was one of the most pleasant hotel experiences that we ever had. Can't comment on KKB. The AS is not out of town. It is on the back side of the Monkey Forest. It's an easy walk into town, but to drive, you have to circumnavigate.

marmot Oct 28th, 2008 03:02 AM

Kupu Kupu is on the Ayung River valley and has a spectacular vantage point. It is one of the older properties in the area but was closed for some time for renovation. I haven't been there since it re-opened. As I recall it's a vertical layout and there's quite a bit of up and down the hillside involved in getting around.

I haven't been to Alam Shanti so can't compare, but as Gpanda says they're in completely different surroundings.

I didn't mean to put the kaibosh on Komeneka Tanggayuda as I like the management very much. It's more lowkey and homey than Kupu Kupu and the valley even without the construction isn't as impressive. Maybe by the time you get there whatever is under construction will be built. You might ask the resort.

rhkkmk Oct 28th, 2008 05:37 AM

i would describe alam shanti as being in a neighborhood of substantial homes and buildings---not commercial....i would not call it 'in town'....to me, in town, means monkey forest rd and the bi-secting roads where all the shops and restaurants are located...AS has none of these in its neighborhood....i would best describe it as residential...town is very close however as gpanda says, just through monkey forest--maybe a 12-15 minute walk or a 10 minute shuttle ride by AS's always available free shuttle...

rhkkmk Oct 28th, 2008 05:47 AM

i've looked at KKB and it looks very nice....i am wondering how close buildings are together however??...

the styles of the two places look very different..

we visited the FS in the gorge and did not particularily like the idea of being a mountain goat or requiring having to have a golf cart take you around within the property..not sure if KKB would be the same?

AS is very small with only four residential buildings of 2 units each....so it really is like being at a private retreat....being in gangga is the furthest building from the entrance---3 minute walk or less---and is right next to the swimming pool---which gives the sense of a private pool, but is full sized....also it overlooks the working rice paddie which is about 500 feet away...its nice to see the local activity in the paddie...

at AS you think you are all alone, except for your building neighbors, either upstair or downstairs....buildings are nicely spaced with gardens/pools in between...there is a brand new spa on the property...

i am sure you would be happy at AS and think KKB would also be nice