Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Two weeks 'til Thailand! Help with CM restaurants and shopping? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/two-weeks-til-thailand-help-with-cm-restaurants-and-shopping-529233/)

CAJ May 15th, 2005 11:02 AM

Two weeks 'til Thailand! Help with CM restaurants and shopping?

Well, not long now - we leave the UK on 28th May! Thanks to all for your help so far.

I have been looking at restaurants in BKK on the web and see that Mahanaga is opening/has opened a new branch along the Mae Ping in CHiang Mai -

CAJ May 15th, 2005 11:04 AM

OK, so I managed to post the message before I finished!

Has anyone been to the new Mahanaga in CM? Has anyone got any others to recommend?

Can anyone recommend specific factories/outlets to visit along the Sankamphaeng Road? Your help would be much appreciated!

rhkkmk May 15th, 2005 11:17 AM

we especialy liked visiting the baan celedon factory store....lots of pottery things to choose from...many do not appear in the bkk. shop..

the unbrella shop is interesting...

silversmithing is also interesting...

the silk weaving demo at sinwatra silk is worthy of some time as well..

the riverside bar and restaurant serves good food and the atmosphere is very nice...

simpsonc510 May 15th, 2005 11:57 AM

Hangdong Market and Bosong Market are both just outside Chiang Mai. Taxi drivers could take you there. You will find all kinds of items there. A lot of wood products, silver jewelry, beautiful furniture, textiles, etc. These are the places where I always shop (along with the night market right in Chiang Mai).

As far as meals go, we usually eat at Nuan Nual (sp) which is a seafood restaurant along the river. You can dine outside, right along the water's edge. Everything is very fresh.

The Good View is also supposed to be a very good place for dining along the water.

We also like an Italian restaurant along the river, called La Gondola.

In BKK, make sure you try the Bed Supper Club!

Carol

crellston May 16th, 2005 03:41 AM

Try "Just Khao Soi!" on Charoen Braytet Rd., which, believe it or not, is a restaurant serving only Khao Soi -a tradition northern Thai/Burmese dish. They also serve a great appetizer platter.

FromDC May 16th, 2005 09:04 AM

The House, a restaurant in CM, has been recommended to me by a fabulous restaurant chef who specializes in French/Thai cuisine. Haven't been there but I trust his opinion more than any reviewer.

CFW May 16th, 2005 04:55 PM

Try the Grand Lanna at the new Mandarin Oriental. Lovely atmosphere and decor with many outdoor terraces and Thai art and antiques, and the food is delicious. It was also very reasonably priced, which was surprising since the hotel is so expensive.

hobbes May 16th, 2005 08:39 PM

Lanna Thai is great. We also enjoyed a meal at the Four Seasons as it gave us an opportunity to experience the property.