TWO Months in Asia (Nov 28 - Jan 29)

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TWO Months in Asia (Nov 28 - Jan 29)

I need help planning an itinerary. I am travelling with my husband, 17 yr old daughter and her 18 year old friend. Our first stop will be to Seoul for 3 nights to visit my brother. From there we are thinking of heading straight to Thailand. Spending a month in Thailand. Was thinking of flying into Phuket from Seoul (making our way from the south to the north to Chiang Mai) and finishing final week in Koh Chang (dec 22-30). Then heading over to Cambodia for roughly 2 weeks. Touring Siem Reap (Ankor Wat) and then making our way to down to Sihanoukville. From there I am undecided.....we have 2 weeks left. Should we just skip over to Vietnam OR was thinking the Philippines??? El Nido, Palawan! Any thoughts? Because we are travelling with 2 teenagers we want to keep it fun but not too rowdy as I enjoy my sleep! A little culture, beach, beach, beach and simple, clean, inexpensive accommodations. Any advise would be great! This will be our 3rd time to Thailand but have never visited any other counties. Most likely booking with Korean air....thoughts?
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:08 PM

How about Bali? Great for teens (and their parents).
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:30 PM

VN is very interesting... work from S to N or the other way: HCMC, hoi an, hue, Hanoi...

3* hotels are very nice there...

allow lots of pool time for the kids and plenty of freedom...

get your hotel and air res for dec 20- jan 5 NOW>>>>.

check out Bangkok Air passes for overseas flying to save huge $$
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes Marmot, I have thought about Bali but I'm also thinking of the ease of those 3 countries side by side. I'm just not sure what to do. I have read so many mixed reviews about VN that I'm questioning it as to whether the girls will like it. Thanks rhkkmk, I have our rooms booked for Koh Chang already and working getting first week booked in Cambodia. Thanks for the info. Will do more researching
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 11:50 AM

where are you staying in chang?
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at Baan Rim Nam....an old fisherman's house built on stilts turned into a guesthouse on the river....steps away from Klong Prao Beach! Owned by an English guy name Ian and his Thai spouse.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

http://iamkohchang.com/kohchang-guest-house
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" I have read so many mixed reviews about VN that I'm questioning it as to whether the girls will like it."

Could you expand on that? I found Vietnam very interesting, and don't remember seeing any specially negative reports, aside from a general consensus that Hanoi is a better destination than Saigon, and not everyone cares for Hoi An (including me, but shoppers generally like it).
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

I don't want to post anything negative about Vietnam because I have never been. Just saying I have read several blogs as to why people will never return to Vietnam..and they are of course all varying reasons. I have also read fantastic reviews about Vietnam! Everyone's experiences are different. I guess that's why I am torn on whether I should take a big chunk of my holiday to Visit what appears to be an amazing country. If I was travelling without the teenagers I wouldn't second guess it and would for sure make it part of my itinerary. They just want the heat and beaches without too much "cultural" stuff. I know I can head south of Vietnam with them but then I wonder if I will be missing what the country is all about!? Really wanted to visit Hanoi and Halong Bay...but in january will be on the cooler side and travelling with crabby teenagers is not fun! So just torn whether to make that part of our itinerary!? They aren't really excited about visiting Siem Reap...ugh.....hard to plan and try and please everyone!
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, sounds like you already have plenty of beach time, but you're right, it will be cool and maybe damp in northern Vietnam. Maybe more time in Cambodia, since you're already there - Phnom Penh, Battambang (and the bamboo express if it's still running), Kompot and Bokor National Park...
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 02:48 PM

The thing about Bali is that you have a sophisticated and indulgent beach culture plus a vibrant arts and religion culture existing in parallel planes in one small island.

You asked earlier about the Philippines/Palawan. I spent a week in Palawan on Pangalusian several years back. It was extraordinarily beautiful, but quite isolated. I'd be wary of typhoon season.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 03:28 PM

I have not read one negative thing about VN, nor in 2 tripd there have I even remotely experienced anything negative, except for a roach motel near the Hanoi airport.