Search

First trip to Bali!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to Bali!

Hi folks,

Will be my first trip to bali on friday, we've got our flights settled and for accomodation, we need some help! Think there are too many hotels..so what we really need is a quiet spot away from the hassle and the harrassments, with a nice sea view, CLEAN but still near kuta and nearer to uluwatu area. Anyone has suggestions? We wanna travel to the Batur Lake area too...could I know how far that is from kuta beach? We have Sanur in mind, but wonder if it'll be inconvenient to travel to Kuta at night. Also, how far is Sanur and Kuta from the Uluwatu area? I'm sorry if i'm speaking in scraps but my brain's in a mess right now...too last minute! Thanks folks..!
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 06:37 AM

Sanur is my favorite beach area in Bali. You can easily taxi from Sanur to Kuta. Uluwatu is a longer drive - perhaps 45 minutes. You can certainly go see the Batur Lake area from Sanur as well - Bali is really fairly small. If you have enough time, you might want to stay a few days inland in the Ubud area. Find yourself a good guidebook with a readable map. I like Lonely Planet.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie! Which, in your opinion is a nicer place to stay? Sanur or Kuta? I'd love to go to Ubud...but there's really no time! We've only got 3 full days...
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 08:55 AM

As far as I'm concerned, you couldn't pay me to stay at Kuta, but it depends on what youn are looking for. No way would anyone refer to Kuta as quiet... it's full of a young (mostly Aussie) crowd and there is much noise, drinking and partying. If that's what you are going to Bali for, you'll love it. If not, you'll hate it.

With three days, stay at Sanur, and get a driver for one day anyway to see some other parts of Bali. You can certianly see Ubud when you're out with a driver... it's perhaps an hour from Sanur.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM

kuta is full of drunks....its the place young people go to to party...i would not even go there...
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 06:25 PM

with only 3 days i am wondering why you want to go wqay north to the mountain and lake area???? its lovely but not when you only have 3 days....

sanur has bars, restaurants, shops, several levels of hotels, and convenience....its a good central location imo
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 10:03 PM

free, are you targeting Ulu Watu because you'll be surfing? If yes, then I'd suggest Blue Point Bay Villas.

http://www.bluepointbayvillas.com/

Ulu Watu is some distance from just about any amenities. If you want nightlife (or shopping or restaurants) you'll have to stay in one of tourist areas.

So either way, you'll have to commute: from Ulu Watu to civilization or from civilization to Ulu Watu. You'll have to decide which is the better arrangement.

As long as you arrange a driver it shouldn't much matter.

I'm not as negative about Kuta as some of the others here, but I definitely prefer Seminyak as a good balance of activity and sanity.

I don't know your budget so this is just guess work, but I'd suggest the Bali Padma which is half way between Kuta and Seminyak or the Sofitel in Seminyak as mid-range options.

I agree Lake Batur is a long sidetrip for a short visit. It would be several hours drive from Kuta.