TUK-TUK Travel Tales-It's THAILAND a trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy Oh Boy, What a time! Just an AWESOME trip! Thanks to everyone who answered what had to be an enormous amount of annoying questions I had asked. After 44 hours of traveling home, arriving at 1 am this morn ( long story and details to follow) I'm gathering my mental notes and sorting photos for what will be a pretty long and detailed report of Bangkok and Koh Samui. The good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful and the crazy. My observations, opinions and experiences of my very first trip to Asia.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM

nice "teaser" post! Can't wait for the report.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:55 PM

I'm looking forward to your report!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 01:28 PM

I'm glad it was awesome! Can't wait to read more.
Carol
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 03:23 PM
jgg

Welcome back!! Can't wait to read this report!!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Glad you had a great trip. Happy travels!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:40 PM

me too....start writing....
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:16 PM

after 44 hrs of traveling, do you think she fell asleep? Maybe we have to wait 48 hrs til she wakes and gets started writing.

your audience is anxiously awaiting your trip report!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Yay! Looking forward to it. I very much enjoyed your trip report on Spain and Morocco too!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Hey, Thanks guys and gals! Just got up from a sleep, internal clocks all messed up. Waiting on at least Robins Pix,(even though T's are the best photos) but will start this up with planning and getting there. So, here I go.

Preface and Getting there:

Back in late Jan. early Feb. took a trip to Morocco and came back with a nasty flu followed by an even nastier case of the shingles. Needless to say, I was unable to work for a few weeks. Sooooo, Armchair travel is what I did. I had traveled extensively in Europe and Morocco had given me a taste for the exotic. It was here on the Asia board and while reading many great trip reports that I focused in on Thailand. After hopping over to Flickr and looking at hundreds of photos I was sold, I was going to Thailand.

Because the fall is my busiest time of year and the plans were in motion to relocate to Barcelona in March, end of summer was the only time I'd be able to go. My friend Robin ( who went to Morocco with me) was at flight training. She had flown for Delta from 99-2001 when she was laid off and had recently been called back. She jumped at the chance to fly again even though she has another full time job because of the flight benefits. When she came back from training I told her I was planning on Thailand late August and before I could finish she said I'm there! Awesome! She is a great travel buddy and we had a ball on our last 2 trips. Somewhere along the way a kind of work friend of hers (I'll call her T ) and her friend H also jumped on the Thailand train. I would not meet them until at the airport the day we left. Fast forward August 30th.

The plan was to fly on a buddy pass from Newark to Narita via Atlanta, connecting to Thai Air from Narita to BKK. Originally I was looking at Premium economy direct from Jfk to Bkk on Thai, but Robin flies free on Delta so we went that route. We both agree that next trip to Asia, a direct flight is the way to go even if you have to pay.

Technically when you fly on a buddy pass you're a non rev ( no reservation) so you list yourself and basically fly standby. A bit risky considering there would have to be 4 open seats,our tickets from Narita to BKK non refundable and we were banking on 4 open Business Class seats. Robin had been checking the flights daily and the night before there were 27 open coach seats and 13 open Biz seats and only 12 listed standby, so we weren't too worried. We checked in, Robin went to park and I would meet her at the gate. The other 2 gals were already there.

We were a bit late, our flight to ATL was to leave at 4;45 on Wed. night. We decided to go down to Atl the night before because our flight was leaving at 10:00 am Thursday. It was about 4:00, I looked around but had never met the other 2 so I just waited for Robin. Finally all there, intro's are made. Gotta say kinda weird traveling with people you don't know. They seemed very nice and T had brought goody bags her cousin had made. Each of us got one with a travel journal, macadamian nuts, godiva chocolate, an initial key chain, tequila, a pen, cookies. It was very sweet and thoughtful. I thought, oh this will be fine. Hmmmmm.

Our flight to Atl was delayed, what else is new, then we sat on the tarmac for 1 1/2 hour,finally made it to Atl at 10:30 pm. Originally we were to stay with this guy Robin had dated but it was so late we decide to just get a room near the airport. The Country Inn and Suites, we all 4 shared a room for 60 bucks, it was gross and smelled but I was so beat I just passed out until our alarm went off at 6 a.m.

While waiting for our cab a 20 something girl walks over and asks if we are going to the airport and can she share our cab. I said sure. So with 8 pieces of luggage and now 5 of us we head off to the airport.

Check in was pretty smooth and it looked like we were all going to get on the flight. But were we getting Biz class? Now, for $414.00 RT from ATL to NRT I shouldn't care where I sit, but if I'm to be honest, I fly Biz on all International flights(upgrade miles,miles,miles) and was not going to be happy if I was in coach.

Here we go they call our names. Robin first she has priority as an employee. She gets Biz Class. Then me, I have 4 buddy passes she gave me from last year so mine have priority over the other 2. Row 41, aisle seat. The other 2 both in coach. It was written all over my face, the dread. Did I mention I'm a fearful flyer and must completely drug up before even stepping on a plane. Even the Xanax couldn't help the thought of being cramped for 14 1/2 hours.

Robin said take my seat, it's a 777 I'll sleep in the crew rest upstairs. I could tell this did not sit well with the others especially T, I had just met them, didn't want to be a pig and declined. Robin kept insisting, I said Thanks but no.

Actually the seat wasn't that bad. Not as cramped as I would have thought. I did notice a few open seats up front though and we were last to board. I call Robin on her blackberry and say, Hey, last row in Biz 2 open seats. She talks to the lead flight attendent who talks to the gate and VOILA! Comfort in an instance. Robin moved to the seat next to me, gave H her seat in row 1 and T, well she flew coach. 4 movies, 3 meals and 2 Xanax later we land in Narita.

I said it would be long and detailed. I need a nap.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Great start. Looking forward to the rest. I love long and detailed...
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM

Good start - Keep it coming...
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Glad you had a great time. A very timely beginning. Penalty avoided. The machinations of air travel remain a mystery.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great writing. I'm SO looking forward to the rest, and I mostly skip Thailand threads these days.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:42 AM

so when do the fights start?? i can tell they are coming...
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:42 AM

I was thinking the same thing, Bob!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I suspect there's a reason why several of the participants are identified only by initials. This is following in the long tradition of RhkKmk.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all .LMAO, You guys are funny. No. no fights, I was on best behaviour. BUT, it was a bit weird I'll say that. I was afraid it might be read by them, but I've decided I don't care. Besides my friend Robin says report it as it was. 2 p.m. and just woke up. Is this typical of Asia jet lag? Anyway working on next installment when I should be WORKING!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Disappointing that there weer no fights. I was hoping one of the initials decided to change hotels or something spectacular.

I have jet lag for two weeks after returning from asia. It gives me more time to work on my trip report.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Around 1:30 Friday afternoon we land in Narita. Hardly slept, but was not tired. I had never been to Asia and was totally psyched to be there. Passport Control was a breeze. Claimed our bags, thru customs, check in at Thai Air for our 4;45 flight to BKK and straight to Starbucks for an afternoon Joe.

*** Male readers take caution!! Woman's issue ahead***

If it happened I report it so here goes. I'll be delicate. Wasn't supposed to start my cycle til the 3rd, but with travel and all I had terrible cramping the entire flight to NRT which is why I didn't sleep. Also tampons were in checked baggage so I head to the newstand in the airport. First case of language barrier. I ask the sales woman, do you have Tampax? Blank stare. For woman? Still blank. Tampax for woman and point to myself. Her head bobs up and down Ah woman, and touches her chest. I giggled like a 14 year old, couldn't help it. I said no, for woman and pointed down there. LOL It was horrifying, and now I had an audience. Ah, pad, I say no, plug? LOL I felt like I was immersed in a game of sex-ed charades. She starts to laugh and 200 yen later I got me a box of Japanese tampons!

I gotta tell you what an airline that Thai Air is. Love the whole purple thing they got going on. Plus, the flight attendents have the most fab outfits!It was lovely, really lovely. We land in Bkk at 9;30 pm. Friday night. Grab a taxi van for 1000 Baht, probably too much, but it was convenient and fast and before you know it we are at The Sofitel Grand Sukhumvit, located on Soi 6.

We had booked the Sofitel with Robin's employee discount and got a 1 bedroom apartment for 85.00 a night. When we booked they said it had 2 pull out couches so we figured we'de all share. First major snag ahead.

At check in we are informed the room is only for 2. Let me say here, that Robin and I had planned the entire trip with NO input what so ever from T and H. Robin took care of flights and BKK hotel and I pretty much planned everything else with Robin's input. So the last thing I wanted to hear was any sort of bitching. It's travel, shit happens, shut up and deal with it. Making a big fuss doesn't solve the problem. That said, BIG FUSS! I just sat back and watched, occasionally interrupting with, they don't raise their voices here, tone it down.

Although the room was beautiful it was way too small for 4 and it was best that we had 2 rooms. Problem was T was none too happy she couldn't get the same rate as Robin. H was very sweet and quiet and did not get involved, but T, not quite. It would cost Robin and I an extra 20 bucks pp a night, nothing on a trip like this, but T didn't want to pay 150.00 a night.(still a bargain in my book) She kept saying I could have booked the Four Seasons for this price. I could have stayed at the Four Seasons. I said why didn't you then. Go stay there. I'm sorry, but I felt it was a bit ungrateful. She had booked NOTHING for the whole trip, made NO plans and was now complaining,practically blaming us, not a great first impression. Besides the 4 seasons was like 320 a night. Anyway, she ended getting the room for 90.00 a night, they went their way, we went ours. Soon to meet up again.

Our room was a studio apartment, we had a great view of the city, kitchen area, great bathroom, comfy beds, living area,satellite TV, no complaints here. It's around midnight, we were wired and a bit hungry so we head next door to the Dynasty Hotel's outdoor deck for a cocktail and some eats.

The first thing I noticed about Bangkok, and in Narita too is how petite the women are. Tiny little,skinny things. I'm not one of great stature at 5'2" but Robin said she felt like a giant at 5'8". The Thai's are also a very beautiful people. As we were leaving the Sofitel to head next door we noticed an absolutely beautiful woman, I mean drop dead. She was with a British guy. She stopped to ask the concierge a question and when she spoke I nearly fell flat on my face. I guess I didn't expect she'd be a barritone. My first ladyboy sighting and I had been in Bangkok under an hour.

We walk next door to the Dynasty seperated by the Sofitel only by a 7 eleven which would be our home away from home. The deck was pretty packed and we grabbed a high top table with a view of Soi 6 or was it 4?( basically an alley way). We ordered some drinks and 2 Thai noodle dishes to share.BTW quite good.

As we sat there recalling our travel so far we couldn't help but notice the crowd around us. At every table, but ours and 1 other were Western men, in their 40's,50's,60's and very, very young Thai girls that couldn't be more than 15. OMG, it's true! All that I heard about, but to see it, so blatent, it was really a shock.

While we ate and drank we watched. The Dynasty it seemed was a hotbed of illicit activity. The men, they leave alone walk down the street. Within an hour they are back, holding the hand of some young Thai girl as if theyt were in magical love and had been together forever. Into the hotel they go and a bit later she leaves alone.

Now I know it's rude to stare, but honestly I couldn't help myself. Especially since the majority of those men were wearing wedding bands! I don't want to be judgemental,WAIT, scratch that. Hell, yeah I do, I'm judgemental on this, it's GROSS! Now, certainly I don't blame these girls, it's how they are brought up, it's what they know. But at the very least they should unionize! If these western men are coming in droves because it's cheap at 20 bucks a night, I actually asked LOL, then these girls should at least get the going rate in say a western city PLUS health insurance.

At the only other non illegal couple table was a single man, who was watching and laughing at our commentary. He was sitting at the table next to us, leaned over and said something to the effect of " It's amazing, isn't it?' In unison we said Yeah, it is. Then Robin said, why are you here alone? Ballsy, she is. He said for the shopping! We all laughed.

Gary was a Brit who relocated to Tenerife, Spain 16 years ago. One of his ventures was selling stuff from Thailand on e-bay which he did quite well at. He had been coming to Bangkok for years and schooled us on the markets and such of this wacky city. He was a big fan of Patapong Market for Fagaizzi's ( that's fakes in Yiddish). Now, I'm not a fan of designer stuff fake or real, but Robin is so her ears perked right up. Especially when he mentioned Chanel. He told us what to pay, what not to. What to look for and where. Then, he wqent upstairs and came back with a big bag of purchases. Watches, designer bags, clothes, silks and began a show and tell. We were in the midst of Bangkok QVC, complete with full on descriptions and such. What luck! A lesson in shopping in Bangkok our very first night.

Just a few photos of narita airport, the group and shopping lesson. Waiting on Robin's pix. BTW from L to R, T, Robin, H and me.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...reykz&Ux=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -