Tsukiji Fish Market

Aug 5th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Tsukiji Fish Market

I have heard that the market has limited the hours for tourists visiting to after 9:00am. Has anyone heard this or know this to be correct or incorrect. I heard it was best to be there around 5am. Thanks.
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:26 AM

Officially, you're SUPPOSED to visit later in the morning (say, after 8am) as a tourist but you'll miss much of atmosphere. Would recommend getting there earlier, but just don't get in the way of the tradesmen.
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

I was told that they will turn away visitors prior to 9:00am, is this right, or can one just walk in on their own? The person who is arranging this for me said that they changed the rules, but not sure I buy that. Thanks for the info.
Aug 17th, 2006, 09:14 AM

One of my friend just visited Tsukiji last week, around 7am without problem.
Just avoid the auction hours, which are around 4-6am (no subway to tsukiji anyway at that time in the morning).
Fish buyers from restaurants/ wholesalers start to gather 6-8am.

Noone seems to be enforcing the official visitation rules (9am-, previous reservation by fax), which could be for school visits.
Aug 17th, 2006, 10:08 AM

We were also at Tsukiji two weeks ago at 7a and had no problem walking around. I'd read that the auction was no longer open to the public, but I hadn't heard anything about visitors being turned away before 9a. Since the auction wasn't available, we didn't feel the need to arrive at 5a. There was still plenty to see and plenty of activity at 7a.
Aug 17th, 2006, 12:51 PM

We walked through the market at around 7:30 and even without the auction, it was one of the most unique places I've seen in my travels.
As long as you don't get in anyone's way you'll be ok.
I would't bother waiting for 9 - then you'll miss the opportunity of eating sushi for breakfast.