Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Trip too Bali - Early Oct 8 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/trip-too-bali-early-oct-8-days-637500/)

pacoabs Aug 7th, 2006 10:41 PM

Trip too Bali - Early Oct 8 days

Hello,
I was reading the boards and was amazed at the wealth of info here. Thanks in advance. I am visiting Bali for about 8 days and wanted to know what to do, where to stay, places not to be missed and ones to avoid. Can anyone suggest a rough itenerary.I dont want to hop around too much, pick 2 or 3 places and spend some days there. I am not too much into huge resorts and would prerfer some moderate place. Any one travelling at the same time ? Also, I will be in India(I live in US and thats home forr me) after that !! Thanks - Amit

Kathie Aug 8th, 2006 05:58 AM

Ah, I can see the Fodors server is acting up again, you post appears three times in a row!

With eight days in Bali, you could choose two places to stay (traditionally, this is part of the time near Ubud and part of the time at a beach). Bali is rel;atively small, so you can see a lot from just two locations. Indeed, you could even just choose one location, but many people like the variety.

Can you tell us whay you are interested in and what your price range is for accommodations? This will allow us to be more helpful.

MichaelBKK Aug 8th, 2006 05:56 PM

Just back from Bali myself. I usually stay in Kuta, but I had a couple of extra days after I finished my business, so I decided to check out Sanur. It's amazing how different the two areas are. Kuta has big waves, so it's popular with surfers, but the beach isn't that great and most of the action is away from the beach. There aren't even that many hotels with direct beach access, and even fewer restaurants outside of hotels.

Sanur, on the other hand, is all about the beach. There's lots of mostly small hotels right on the beach, as well as shops and restaurants. You could, if you wanted, sleep, eat and shop without ever losing sight of the sea. There's a reef about 100 yards from shore that breaks the waves well away from the beach, so that you mostly just have a gentle lapping of water at the beach. The water is great for swimming, wind-surfing and paddle boarding. At low tide you can walk all the way to the reef, looking at the tide pools left.

What Sanur lacks is the dance clubs and other night life you'll find around Kuta, but I didn't miss that one bit.

Kathie Aug 8th, 2006 06:12 PM

Michael, I've always liked Sanur - it's a real town, not just a resort location. It's nice to hear you like Sanur too.

pacoabs Aug 8th, 2006 08:24 PM

Hi Katie,

I just want to wander around and see stuff. I am not a surfer/diver or any adventure sports. Just wanna see and experience new things and culture on the island. Massages would be awesome, and so would spending some time on the beach. I want something on the moderate side. Not into too much of the resorts as I am travelling alone, so need a clean safe place to crash and may be hot water. I am sure about Ubud, any suggestions about that place ? Places to stay ? I am not sure about the other place beyond that. I would say I would do 2 days beach( 1 day chill and one day travel), 4 ubud, 2 days beach( One day chill and one day travel somehwere) and fly back. Any other suggestions would be welcome. I am totally open to all suggestions and itenerary suggestions.