Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Trip to Kunming-Lijiang: better entry point between Gu (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/trip-to-kunming-lijiang-better-entry-point-between-gu-331030/)

Gianni Mar 26th, 2008 10:38 PM

Trip to Kunming-Lijiang: better entry point between Gu

Hello, I write you from Italy.
I would like to visit Yunnan for 10 days; I found a good offer from Lufthansa to fly from Italy to both Guangzhou or Nanjing.
Which is between the two the better entry point in China for both connections to Kunming and town attractions?
Please, give me your advices... if I have the chance to confirm this trip I have to book the flight during next week-end!!

GRAZIE, arrivederci.

wendyqiuwen Mar 26th, 2008 11:08 PM

Hello,
If you are just looking for a transitional stop, Guangzhou is the better one. Guangzhou is one of the entry Cities in China. What's more, take the distance into consideration, it is closer from Guangzhou to Kunming than from Nanjing. But, if you want to have a sigtseeing tour, Nanjing should be the better. Because Nanjing is one of the six ancient capitals of China. There are some historical sites and many special architectures like ancient bridges, residences. Nanjing is also a city on the bank of the Great Canel, so the view of the city is attractive.

Have anything else want to know, send me an email and I will try my best to give you more information.
My email is [email protected]
By the way, I had a tour in Yunnan last winter, Lijiang, Dali, Zhongdian, Shangri-la are all wonderful. Wish you have a good time there.

janev Mar 26th, 2008 11:57 PM

Definately Guangzhou.

Gianni Mar 27th, 2008 07:40 AM

It looks that Guangzhou is a better choice. Can you give me some info about hotels, city transport (from - to airport) and places to see if I stay there a couple (not more) of days?
GRAZIE, ciao.
Gianni

rkkwan Mar 27th, 2008 07:46 AM

Difference in total distance between FRA-NKG-KMG and FRA-CAN-KMG is under 200 miles.

There is non-stop CAN-LJG, but there's no non-stop NKG-LJG.

There are frequent flights from both CAN and NKG to KMG, with CAN slightly more frequent.

Nanjing is a more interesting city to visit than Guangzhou. Airport is also smaller.

FRA - Frankfurt
NKG - Nanjing
CAN - Guangzhou
KMG - Kunming
LJG - Lijiang

Gianni Mar 28th, 2008 07:37 AM

On China Southern airline website flights from Guangzhou to Kunming or Dali (beginning of May) are sold at 200 - 250 US dollars, one way.
Is it a good price? Are there alternative for both airlines or booking site in internet?
I would like to get al least the first domestic flight in advance and buy the others directly in China..
Grazie, ciao.

ps
Hotel suggestions for Gouangzhou or Kunming???

janev Mar 28th, 2008 07:39 AM

Can you give some indication on how much you want to spend?

rkkwan Mar 28th, 2008 07:55 AM

Look for fares on ctrip.com, yoee.com, 9588.com, or elong.net. Not from the airline's website.

Best fares aren't available until about 1-2 weeks before travel.

AlohaBoston Mar 29th, 2008 03:39 PM

Just travels through Kunming to Lijiang (from Beijing) ...all booked on elong.net. No issues...very smooth transfers through Kunming. Stayed downtown in Kunming one night.

Akonig1 Apr 1st, 2008 01:34 PM

I just flew 4 days ago from Kunming to Beijing for 1150 RMB ( about $160) one way. I booked it the day before from a local travel agent with the best price. Most people that i talked to payed around the same price.