Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Trip to Japan on August. Itinerary. What do you thinkż?

Jun 1st, 2005, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Japan on August.
August 8th-14th -Tokyo( with Nikko and Kamakura)
August 14-15th We are not sure, Maybe TAkayama or Shirakawago with one more night of Tokyo.
August 15-17th Two nights but only one day in Hiroshima.
17-18th Miyajima
18-23th Kyoto with Nara and Himeji.
What do you think? Do you change anything? Thank you very much for your help.
Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Anyone can help me??
Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:48 AM

Bonjour Tuchin,

Mid-August is O-Bon period, trains and hotels in mountain resorts might be crowded, book well in advance.

You should consider a JR railpass (7 days starting on the 14th if you fly into Narita and out of Kansai, but you might be better off with 14 days anyway).

Visit Himeji on the way between Tokyo and Hiroshima or back from Miyajima and Kyoto, thus saving one more day for Kyoto.

Other than those remarks, it is a bit difficult to advise you further without knowing what kind of help you are looking for.

Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much Florence. I only wanted to know an opinion about my itinerary. It's my first trip to Japan and I want to visit the most important things ( I know it's impossible to visit all the important things in 17 days).
Thank you again.
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
emd

Tuchin: I assume this is your first trip to Japan? I just did my first trip there in May. I think it is important that your itinerary include the places and things you want to do. I think what is "important" is very much a personal decision. I found it was better to decide what I wanted to get out of the trip, and plan around that. We didn't see many of the sights in Tokyo and Kyoto that some would say are "must sees" (we didn't get to Nara or Himeji, for example), because we opted to do what interested us and ran out of time for the rest of the "must sees", but we had a fine and very memorable trip.
One comment about timing. Are you planning to go from Tokyo to Takayama or Shirakawago for one night and then on to Hiroshima, then Kyoto? I think you need to go through Nagoya to get to/from Takayama. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe your trip from Takayama to Hiroshima will be about 5 hrs., going through Nagoya. Just be aware of the travel time to get to and from Takayama for a one night stay. To give yourself more time on that part of the trip (maybe one night in Takayama and one night in Shirakawago), you could perhaps drop one day in Tokyo (maybe the Kamakura day- it has alot of temples and you will get that in Kyoto) and that would give you one more night in Takayama/Shirakawago.
I don't think you could get from Tokyo to Shirakawago for one night and then on to Hiroshima next day. My understanding is that you must use the bus from Takayama to get to Shirakawago. I think it's a long trip from Tokyo for one night.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:24 AM

Your itinerary looks good to me. You're going to all the major places with enough time not to be rushed. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

My only suggestion is, that with 17 days, you could add something a little different for variety. Something off the usual tourist track. Maybe a homestay with a Japanese family, a visit to a rural onsen, a stop at a Japanese amusement park, a cooking class, etc.

It'll be really hot in August, but you'll get to see lots of interesting summer festivals and fireworks.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your help and your advices. I'm very grateful!!!
We are thinking to change Shirakawago for Kiso Valley and stay in a minshuku one or two nights.
We'd love to make a cooking class or something like that but we are from Spain. I speak english (not a lot but I can understand and I can speak) but my husband doesn't speak english and it's difficult for us. But I'm going to find something like the things you recommend.
Thank you again!!

Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:33 PM

Kamakura is a great place to visit and the town & temples there are really lovely. Himeji Castle was very beautiful and very busy with tourists, however we loved Matsumoto's castle, which is awesome and set in a lovely park. The town is also easy to get around and there is a great Toyoko Inn there for around 6000 yen a night for 2 people. We grabbed it as it was a real bargain. It was so easy to just sit and contemplate the beauty of Matsumoto castle.

Nara is also a wonderful day trip from Kyoto.

We thought Takayama was a yawn compared to Kamakura. There are a few sights but not much is open unless the tour buses are in the town. We wasted two days there!

You should get a JR pass as you will save a lot of money if you are travelling around a lot.

The island of Shikoku is a nice alternative to some of the tourist traps and the Ritsurin garden in Takamatsu and the Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama were some of the highlights of our trip. We were advised to see some of the smaller towns in Japan and we were very glad we took this advice.

I think a week in Tokyo is way too much. Also you must see the temple markets in Kyoto. There is one on the 2lst at Toji temple and one on the 25th at Kitano Tenmangu temple. They are great fun & superb for souvenir hunting! Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Jun 4th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your advices.