Notices

Trip to Cambodia and Laos

Aug 16th, 2002, 03:17 AM
tip

Trip to Cambodia and Laos

I will be traveling for 2 weeks and would like to travel to both places. Is this enough time? What would be the best form of transportation? I am a 37 yr. old female that will be traveling alone. Will that be a problem? Does anyone know of a travel agent that specializes in low cost travel to these places? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 16th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Kathie

I've been to Cambodia, and am headed to Laos in November - December. Being a woman traveling alone in these countries is not a problem.

It's easy to set up your own travel in SE Asia. Note that Cambodia and Laos are less traveled than other countries in the area, and ground transportation is hard (long, slow, bumpy, uncomfortable). Two weeks is enough time to visit perhaps three places.

The one place I wouldn't miss is the temples at Angkor. I spent a week there and would have loved even more time. Generally, three days is considered the absolute minimum if you have any interest in the temples. Three days is enough time to see the major temples, but you will miss many of the smaller temples, which were my favorites. At many of the smaller temples, we were the only visitors.

Luang Prabang is a charming small town in Laos, a world heritage site. That's where I'm headed. Yoiu couls spend a week there, exploring temples, day trips on the Mekong, soaking up the atmosphere.

With so little time, you are wisest to fly. If your budget won't allow that, choose one country or the other for your two weeks. Base your trip around one place you really want to see, then add as is practical.

Aug 18th, 2002, 01:11 PM
kirikou

Two weeks is pretty short, but an option is: Fly from Bangkok to Siem Reap (or go by bus/truck for the cheapness of it, will take one hard day), spend at least two days exploring Angkor, go by boat to Phnom Penh (that's just cause I find Phnom Penh an immensely charming town), 5-6 hours, spend a couple of days there (Tuol Sleng genocide museum is a must etc), fly from Phnom Penh to Vientiane, which is also quite charming although completely lacking major attractions. Nice for a day or two though, and the Lao's are such great people. From there you can either go by ten hours bus to Luang Prabang in one day, or split it up with a night in Vang Vieng (river, mountains, many, many backpackers, restaurants and great nature, crowded). Luang Prabang is great, but 3-4 days will be "sufficient" (what ever is, but for an overlook...). Suggest staying in the outskirts of LP, as the centre's getting very touristed. And from there you can fly out. Not sure whether there are now direct flights to Bangkok or if you have to go via Vientiane.

Search this Thread