Trip report to India, part one.

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip report to India, part one.

Well we have been back now since 2/11 and I apologize for the delay in reporting. We left Chicago 1/22 for just under 3 weeks in India, my wifes home. If you recall Chicago had a foot of snow the day before so simply clearing the driveway so the limo could get in was a chore. We had a two hr. delay leaving ORD but with a 6 hr. layover in FRA this was no worry. Things picked up once we got to FRA. We met friends for a nice breakfast and then to our delight Lufthansa asked us to go to business class for the flight from FRA to DEL. How does one say no? The big concern of course was being fogged out of DEL. That is a huge problem that time of yr. Luckily we had clear weather and arrived on time. We collected our bags, got thru customs and immigration in a timely manner, though one official did ask me what I had in my bags. When I told him just clothes and a few gifts he let it go at that and off we were to meet family we had not seen in 7 yrs. Seeing them was the best part of our trip! It was a tearful reunion to be sure. It was a bit foggy that night as we emerged from IGI but obviously we made it. I was surprised to see so many detours on our way to my in-laws home, all of which were for the new metro or elevated train, the 1st of its kind in Delhi. We had so much fun renewing aquaintainces we forgot how tired we really were. The next day it was time to go to CP and shop! Actually we had to because we had brought so much stuff for our relatives we did not have enough for ourselves. I must say I am very impressed with the quality of ready made clothing in Del, especially with shirts. Things have improved alot since our last visit. We spent the next 3 days in Del. and all was well but not perfect. Nothing ever is. What really made me nervous was the driving! No, I did drive but the zipping in and out of traffic and the narrow avoidence of collisions seems to be a norm there. That and the incessant use of the horn. I think cars in India need a horn that toots automatically every 2-3 sec. . Again its normal there but to one used to driving in the US its valium time. What also is so different are the malls. There are many now and more under construction seemingly everywhere. After 3 days it was time to go to Agra. Next report.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Hi there !!!
I am from Chicago too Schaumburg actually..and we left for India on the 20th of January(missed the snow by 2 days !!) We too made the Golden triangle circuit with our 2 little boys.. We are originally from India so this was a famiy visit too..
Ash
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Utterly small world. We live in Schaumburg as well.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 07:24 PM

A small world indeed !! Ashwini
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Still waiting for the next trip report?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Do a search under my name. You will find part 2.