Search

Trip Report - Phuket and Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report - Phuket and Bangkok

Hi all

This is my first time to do a trip report so bear with me if I jump all over the place!

Our trip was for our honeymoon ( Jan 2nd to 18th)

We flew with China Airways.I would not be at all complimentary about China Airways. We flew out on New Years Day - maybe they had celebrated a little too much but all the staff without exception were so rude. Not a smile to be seen. We chanced asking for an upgrade as we were honeymooners ( it was worth a shot!) ' No way' was the swift response and just to prove it they seated us in seperate seats 5 rows apart. When my husband asked if we could sit together for the 12 hour flight you'd think we asked could we sit on the pilots lap for 12 hours. Huffing and giving out etc. Lets just say our 36 hour delay on the way back confirmed their rudeness... but more about that later!!......

Arrived in Phuket ( stayed at the Kata Beach for the first 6 nights) We arrived at 1.00 in the day after travelling for 25 hours and had to wait another 2 hours before our room was ready. But it was peak season so we understood.
Porter took us to our room eventually with our bags etc. All we wanted was to head straight to sleep but... he would not leave the room without a tip. We told him we had just arrived and had not got much currency and we would see him later etc. he stood there and refused to move even when my husband asked him to leave. So we had to rummage through our luggage to find some bhat. Miraculously his understaning of English improved the minute he got the tip. I was very disappointed with this. I was so tired I didn't catch his name and so didn't complain to the manager but I did leave the comments on the room card on check out.

Overall the Kata Beach was a nice hotel. The room was a nice size but nothing special, breakfast we indeed superb. My overall feeling is that it wasn't worth what we paid but we were there high season etc. The staff were not very friendly. Trying to get extra towels in the room was hell. No way ...Small things were just not 100%. We left our key into reception one night and when they could not find it when we came back they persuaded us we did not drop it in. When they found it they handed it over - no apologies etc. As I say small things but still not great service.

One last thing on the Kata. We had paid for a night as a deposit which was included on the final bill they presented us with . When I queried it - the lady removed it immediately no questions asked. I wouldn't mention it only I read the same thing on another review so just be careful.....
Also we booked a guide through the hotel and were assured he had good english. he was a lovely man but his only English was ' Very Beautiful' so it just made it a little more difficult but its this kind of thing that would stop me going back to the Kata etc

We ate at Moma Tri's and also in Gung which is next door an also run my Moma Tri's. Both were superb although I enjoyed Gung more I must say.Local restaurants were excellent. I did find one particular tailor way way too pushy. When I was on my own walking past he would come after me and put his hands on me etc. I didn't mind the hard sell but that was a little too much for me.....

We did a day trip to Phi Phi and believe it or not it poured rain for the entire day about 1 hr into the trip. While Phi Phi was beautiful the weather did not help. By about 3pm 85% of the boat voted to go home so home we went! Bizarre! The snorkeling was very good though although the volume of people was crazy on Maya and Phi Phi ( no surprise of course)

Next stop was the Banyan Tree for 8 nights . Just amazing. Everything was spot on. Service was 100%. Food etc. Spa Pool Villa was such a special experiece for our honeymoon and I am glad we were lucky enough to have this experience. We visited the Sheraton for dinner one night. It was nice.Huge place though but very nice feel to it at night anyway.Spent a lot of time chilling out in the banywan Tree - lots of nice spa treatmenets etc. Nothing more to be said really . Just 100%

On then to Bangkok. We stayed in the Pathumwan Princess for ease of shopping! MBK good for knick knacks - Siam Paragon excellent if you are looking for good quality clothes - shoes etc. Excellent shopping centre. We had Tom ( through Tong) booked for one day which was excellent although we only got to see the Emerald Budda, Grand Palace, Boat trip and Jim Thompson houses ( sorry but that was lost on me... maybe if you were familiar with Jim Thompson or had a particular interest in Thai silk etc it may have been intersting but...)

Tuk Tuk rides were crazy but fun. We got a taxi back to the airport for 250 bhat plus toll. Even though the hotel got us a taxi at the door and told the taxi driver to use the meter he tried not to when we got in etc. That wears you down but part and parcel of Bangkok I guess!!!

Flight home was ok until we went to land at Amsterdam. 747 plane was shaking violently due to storms so we had to divert to Frankfurt. Stayed overnight and eventually got out late the following night. China Air were truly awful. We sat on the plane on the runway in Frankfurt for 4 hours. Then we were allowed off and sat in the airport for another 5 hours until we we were sent to a horrible horrible hotel half an hour away They told us nothing and any queries were met with a snappy uninformative response. Please please try not to fly with this airline. EVERYTHING was truly awful.

Over all we had a truly wonderful time. A few mishaps along the way but it was fun. We were very unlucky with the weather but hey we were on honeymoon!!!

Sorry for the long report but sometimes I feel its important to point out the shortcomings as well as the good stuff as experiecing the short comings can warn others etc. The good experiences are almost guaranteed..

I have to say I loved Bangkok - more than I thought I would !!!

Any questions or more specifics just ask......

Thanks again to everyone....

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the report (especially some of the things to watch out for). What all did you see snorkeling? I am just beginning to think about a trip for June/July 2008. Rainy season, but that's when we educators can go ! I'm wondering how the snorkeling there will compare to what we saw on the Great Barrier Reef last summer. Probably not going to be as good, but that's OK.

What did you like best about Bangkok? I'm not much on big cities, but Bangkok is supposed to be wonderful.

Where is the Banyon Tree? Sounds interesting, but is it just a spa? Any sighseeing to be done there?

Thanks again and congrats on your recent nuptials!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi there!!

With regards to snorkeling - not as good as the Barrier Reef ( we were actually snorkelling with a couple from Townsville and they said it was excellent but not the Barrier Reef) Interesting though is that apparently the snorkelling is much better post Tsunami as the Tsunami swept everthing clean for want of a better expression!

Bangkok - I think I liked it so much as I had been told ' Oh 2 nights is enough ' etc. Its a crazy city with lots to do and see. Take a trip outside the city one day etc. by the way if you like browsing through markets try the Lumpini night markets. I thought they were very good as far as markets go etc..

The Banyan Tree is part of the Laguna complex in Phuket. Its a luxury resort with a Spa that has been voted the best in the World by Conde Nast on a couple of occassions.There is golf etc but not mcuh sightseeing locally but it is beautiful but very very very expensive! for us - only cause it was a special trip but i doubt we will ever go back

www.banyantree.com ( Phuket)

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Pity about China Airlines ! I have been down to Phuket twice since New Year and it has changed 'greatly' even since the last trip of 2006,though I admit that was low season. We went through Kata and near Kata Beach Resort seeing Hot Dogs and Fries advertised and the new buildings ( shops etc ) it has changed just so so much.
I remember when...........
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the report. Your China Air experience makes me even more happy that I flew Korean Air to Bangkok on my last trip. They were fabulous!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM

thanks for the report...

interesting that you did not like the jim thompson house....most people love seeing the old houses so neatly put together and the treasurers that they contain....i have never read of anyone who did not like it....but again each to his own..
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 10:08 PM

Hi, thanks for the report. Was wondering why you didn't like the Jim Thompson house. I'll be in Bangkok next week, and that's on my list of places to go. But I had actually never actually heard of it until I starting reading up on Bangkok.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi

Its not so much that I didn't like Jim Thompson house but I did not know anything about the man apart from the fact that he revived the Thai Silk Industry etc ( that my own fault etc) It wasn't like someone I had learned about in school / famous person in history etc. The tour lasted 25 mins and they told us nothing of the man himseld. I didn't know if he was married, had children, theories on his dissappearance, where the proceeds of his business go since he had no family etc. It was the tour prehaps that I found odd..... The house was lovely etc and it was nice to see a typical Thai house but I am not sure why it is top of the list of things to do ?

But as you say - everyone to their own. Prehaps I am not cultured enough to appreciate it!

But I loved my first trip to Thailand and I will be back!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:45 AM

after my first visit to his house about 11 years ago i came home and got a biography about him from my local library....it is a very interesting story and his death remains unsolved to this day...
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:03 AM

Thanks for the report. China Air will not get to carry any Pandas. My solution to the towel issue is to bring some up from the fitness center. They always seem more lax on the towel count. Penalty avoided. Sounds like a super Honeymoon with just a few hurdles.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

It was and I will definitely be back. I really only mentioned the hurdles given the nature of the forum - ie recite the good with the not so good as it may help someone else ( ie the billing issue at the kata - maybe just a mistake .. but maybe not)

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:10 AM

It was clear from your report that you had a great time and the hurdles were the exception rather than the rule.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:27 PM

Liked your report Indecisive and thankyou. I must say I would never have considered China Air in the first place and you confirmed why. Have a look at www.airlinequality.com and read the reviews and please think about putting one on there as well .You sound as if you were very restrained especially when you were seated apart . That is just appalling .
I am also sorry that you did not much like the Thompson houses. I first saw them about 15+ years ago and hope they are still a quiet little oasis from the chaos outside. I am going back to Bangkok to and from Europe from Australia in June and will take my partner to them , who has never been to Bangkok. And at the risk of being a total bore I remember when Kata and Karon beaches were empty with nothing but huts ,a few low key hotels at one end and pineapple sellers circa 1984. But I hope the water is still clear , warm and buoyant and the sand at the water line feels like little styrofoam balls under your feet ? I had the loveliest holidays there .
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:35 PM

china air consistently has the lowest prices for a reason...
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:29 PM

Hi Indecisive,

I am in the process of trying to book a hotel in Phuket in May but just can't seem to pick one! Did you have a look at the Phuket Pavilions? If so were they nice? Also the Sheraton, was that nice? Was it near all the action? Your help is much appreciated
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi again

I saw the sign for the Phuket Pavillions but did not actually go by them . If I remember correctly they are quite expensive ( we looked at them for the 2nd part of our honeymoon). We chose the Banyan Tree Instead in the Laguna and it was simply perfect. Maybe also look at there too? We visited teh Sheraton at night for dinner so I didn't see it in full day light. It looked very nice , nice pool etc but the impression I got was that it is very very big. As we walked in there was a band playing -3 girls ala Beyonce style! - very strange.... very loud . Didn't suit the hotel at all. I am 33 and i couldn't handle the noise!!!. The Sheraton and indeed all the Laguna hotels are in a quite area. The local village is very 'run down' There is no reason to go outside the Laguna into bang Tao - some nice restaurtants up on the beach . That said it is a lovely area with lots of restaurants, activities etc but you are somewhat a captive audience unless you get a taxi to Patong/ Kata/Karon which is about 25 mins away.

I guess it depends on how long you are going for . We spilt it - kata 6 nights ( busy at night, stalls to walk by and haggle for fun etc) Banyan tree for 8 nights to pure pampering.....

James A is excellent for hotel suggestions . perhaps he will chip in...
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:21 AM

Sophie, in my humble opinion before choosing a hotel choose what time of beach area you want to stay. You can find quiet beach areas and those with access to a small number of restaurants, a few bars and local shopping, there are those who prefer to be closer to more busy areas and those who wish to be right in the busiest areas.
Although you can get around easily the costs of tuk-tuks etc between beaches has shot up, Kamala beach which is nice now costs B 300 ( about USD 8.50 each way ) and from there to Karon they want B 600 ( about USD 17 each way ) so although not way high expensive it can mount up a lot if you plan to do it on a regular basis.
Surn Beach is very nice, let us know how you want to spend your days and whether in the evenings you just want a few restaurants or you want lively place with lots of restaurants, bars etc, do note that May is the start of the rainy time of year to I think it is also sensible to factor that in when choosing a location.
It could be non stop sunshine but if you get rainy days think about if you would prefer to spend those at a resort in a quieter area or if you would only wish to have been closer to busier areas because you don't really want a long drive back in the rain.

As you asked if some of those were close to the 'action' I am guessing you kight want to be closer to Patong (?).

Also tell us if you want large resort, small luxury / boutique style etc.
As you are asking about Sheraton I guess you are thinking of the upper price range. May rates are low, so that puts more places probably in your range.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM

That Kamala Beach fare was to Patong, about 20 mins all in.