Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Trip report: One week in Singapore and Thailand

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again to everyone for their great suggestions for my trip. To recap, my husband was traveling on business to Singapore and Bangkok in early April and I decided to join him. Here's a few thoughts and observations from our trip:

Singapore. After six months in the less "developed" parts of Asia, I really appreciated this city-state that I'd previously thought of as "antiseptic". We only had one full day and I spent most of it eating my way through Orchard Street. I'm a big fan of the Luxe guide for Singapore so I took many of their suggestions: vegetable potstickers at Crystal Jade in the Takashimaya building (for those that don't eat meat like me, the other popular dim sum establishment Din Tai Fung, has no dumplings without pork or chicken), various baked treats at Toast (same building), great salads and desserts at Marmalade Pantry (the mall across the street), and of course, champagne truffles from Tuescher (same mall). Did I mention I'm a bit of a chocoholic?? My husband had been missing a good steak so we had dinner at a lovely restaurant called Gordon's, i think. In a colonial-style stand-alone building, very good service, and a terrific cheese course.

Bangkok. We stayed at the Sheraton Sukhomvit. The property's strengths are definitely location - it's on a main street with loads of shopping and plenty of good eats, and right next to the Skytrain (super handy public transportation system that I used all the time) - and the staff who are extrememly service-oriented. And they've got a great gym. I found myself missing open space - they've got a small pool, which everyone crowds around in the afternoon. Basil, the Thai restaurant, is also very good, which was nice since we arrived late at night so it was nice to have a good meal right on the property.

Other good eats included: Face, which lots of people on this site have talked up. I especially like the bar, especially the comfy day bed right in front on the big picture window - a perfect spot to watch all the action! Giusto - an Italian restaurant within walking distance of our hotel. The food was very good (I had black truffle raviolis for about twenty percent of what I would have paid for the same in new york), but the desserts were dissappointing. I would still reccomend it (great food, good service, nice room) - I'd just recommend going to another place for dessert. Another nice spot was the Erawan Tea Room - I read that it was a famous tea room years ago...the Hyatt re-opened it in the mall that is attached to the hotel. It's a great room, and the high-tea is an easy way to get a sampling of Thai snacks, and some delicious scones with clotted cream and fresh strawberry jam.

I also came across a guide book that others may enjoy: I was at the bookstore looking for the Luxe guide and couldn't find it...but I did find this little ditty called "chic guide" - a couple of designers showcase a number of Bangkok restaurants for both their food and ambience. Face, Giusto, and Basil were all included and I enjoyed all of them so I thought the book was quite good.

Hua Hin. I was looking for a quick weekend getaway from Bangkok and took advice from folks on this site and went to the Hyatt in Hua Hin. Once we got to the beach I was happy, but the trip was 3.5 hours on a boring highway (the whole way there was pretty urban and I was hoping for some beautiful rural scenery). One tip for others making the journey: we called a car service and spent 3,800 baht getting there (the cheapest of three quotes); it turns out that the Hyatt runs a small service between their two hotels for just 500 baht. We took it on the way back and it was quite comfortable (chilled water and hand towels were quite nice by hour three).

The property itself was nice enough - a decent gym, a very good Thai massage, and a long serpentine pool that gave everyone some space.

JamesA- Let's Sea was a great suggestion! It was only a short walk away on the beach. A casual, beautiful gem right on the beach with good food. If you go, remember to ask for a table beachside. And I hear they are opening a small hotel on the same site towards the end of the year.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 08:09 PM

question....we will be staying at the marriott in bkk but at the hyatt in HH....do you think they would allow us to take the shuttle from bkk to HH, even though we are not guests at the hyatt in bkk?? we will take it back from HH too...thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

I don't know. You might call them. I would think they would be more than willing - its good customer service, and its good business (they've got a bus to fill up so the more paying seats the better). The bus leaves the Grand Hyatt BKK in the late morning and gets in to HH around 2pm.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 02:28 AM

Excellent trip report Firecracker! I can imagine how delicious a good cheese course is after a long time in Asia. ;-)
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Thanks for the report! I, too, like Guisto. We tried it about two trips ago and need to go back there sometime.

I also agree with staying in a convenient location for shopping and sky train. I have stayed at the river hotels and also hotels and apartments around Sukhumvit. I prefer the Suk area!

Carol

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Yeah, the Erawan tearoom (Bangkok) is great. I go there to just chill out from a day of shopping. It's very quiet there and the food and drinks are quite good. Happy Travels!