The southern rural province of Kerala is very different from India's urban centers: it is uncrowded, clean, with a relaxed pace - a great place to unwind, eat fresh seafood, swim in warm winter waters (Arabian Sea), and enjoy the nature and local Keralite culture.
Photos (scenery, hotels, food):
For background on us, please see our first trip report here:
As our four-day trip was short, we flew into Kochi airport and flew out of Trivandrum, to avoid driving back.
DAY 1 - Backwater cruise from Alleppey, across Lake Vembanad, to Kumarakom
DAY 2 - Drive down coast to Varkala Beach
DAY 3 & 4 - Beachtime
- Pack mosquito repellent, sanitizer wipes, soap flakes, Imodium (in case!) and flashlight (power outages are frequent if brief)
- Most universal plug adapters do not fit, so bring an India-specific one
- Drink bottled water. If sensitive stomach, use bottled for teeth brushing
- Service charge is often not included on bills, we left 10 - 15%
- Exchanges are closed Sundays, however ATMs are easy to find
Details of places visited to follow ...
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan
- 2 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 3 9 days in Japan in April
- 4 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 5 Question re. fees at BOM
- 6 best way to travel between Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and Siem Reap, Cambodia
- 7 Best guidebooks for SE Asia
- 8 Spa Bangkok
- 9 Internet in SE Asia
- 10 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 11 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 12 Using a Starling Bank card in SE Asia
- 13 cooking school in Chiang Mai?
- 14 Anti Malarial tablets in SE Asia
- 15 need your help with japan itinerary
- 16 Japan in July with 20 year old
- 17 Hotel in Vang Vieng
- 18 A comprehensive guide for tourists visiting North Goa
- 19 4 DAYS in KERALA...
- 20 VN + Japan 6 wks March/April - which order?
- 21 Travel options from Negombo to Mirissa
- 22 Family trip to Thailand for Christmas and possibly New year
- 23 Skiing in Japan - need advice
- 24 MUMBAI FOR TWO DAYS
- 25 best way to spend two days in Chiang Mai
Trip Report Kerala: Backwaters & Beach (DEC 2013)