Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Great Wall hike - Jingshanling to Simatai

Nov 16th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Brilliant hike between 2 very steep and challenging sections of the Great Wall. No tour guide, just us, our boots and a very random map!

http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/c...o-simatai-hike
Nov 17th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Thanks for posting. My husband and I are going to Beijing in mid-Dec. and want to hike on the Great Wall. Just wondering where you stayed in Beijing and how you got to the Great Wall...
Did you hire a driver or go on a group bus? Any details you could provide would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Nov 18th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

We we're there for work and stayed at the Shangri-la Kerry Centre.

http://www.shangri-la.com/beijing/ke.../en/index.aspx

It's a pretty businessy hotel. If you're looking for something more unique you could try the Red Capital Club/Ranch. We ate at the club only but reports of the accommodation is pretty good. I've done a write up in the China section of my site.

www.mcdougalladventures.com/category/china

I've also included reviews of all the restaurants we ate at in Beijing.

Regarding the Great Wall, I just did a bit of research and we hired a driver to drop us off at Jingshanling and then pick us up in the Simatai car park 4 or so hours later. He was the driver we had been using for work so we were pretty confident he'd be there when we showed up at the other end.

There are some companys who offer trips to the 'wild wall'. One I considered was www.cyclechina.com run by Jeff Gao. We eventually decided to go it alone but Jeff was lovely in all comunication I had with him before making a decision. Something to consider is that going with a group can sometimes mean 40 people! Going it alone is a bit more challenging but not impossible. Let me know if you want more details.
Nov 18th, 2005, 04:49 AM

Thanks Luckykat! I looked at your web page. It's GREAT. We have accomodations in Beijing so I was really interested in your transportation to the Wall. Do you think that the driver you used would be able to take us? If so please provide his info. Also, how much did it cost?
We aren't really interested in going with a group. We agree, how hard can it be to go in the right direction once you're at the Wall?
We thought about going on a bus with a youth hostel group called "Great Wall Adventures" Their site is: http://greatwalladventure.com/greatwall.htm. From the looks of their site, it doesn't seem like a tour, just transportation to and from Beijing (to Jinshanling and back from Simatai)...
I'll visit your site again, but any more info you'd like to provide would be really helpful to us, since we seem to have the same method as you: "research and give it a try on our own"....
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:12 AM

many hotels offer information on transportation to/from great wall
we did this hike last year, and arranged the transportation through the hotel
very inexpensive, no problems
Nov 18th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

eep...I lost his card. I'll ask my collegue if he still has one. However, he spoke absolutely zero english so that may not be exactly what your after. Dredging from my memory, i think it was either 400 or 700 Yuan. I know that is completely unhelpful so again, I'll check with my collegue as he did the paying at the end of the day. I'd be wary of getting a bus to and from as some of them dump you out and then you are descended on by swarms of 'guides' who dog your footsteps the whole way.

As dperry suggests, it would probably be easiest to get your hotel to sort out a driver. That way you arrive on your own and can do things cheerfully at your own pace.
Dec 1st, 2005, 07:00 AM

Hi, is it possible to just look around Simatai without hiking much at all? Is this worth the trip?

Thanks.