Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Trip report: Ajanta and Verul ( Ellora) caves

Old Feb 13th, 2022, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a short 3 day trip to the relatively less visited Ajanta and Ellora caves from Pune in December last year. The sites were extraordinary and worth a visit to the area. The Deogiri fort at Daulatabad was also a good visit. I was left wondering why I did not visit the sites earlier.
Here's the link to my TR: https://ashwinbahulkar.wordpress.com...-ajanta-caves/

Hope everyone enjoys reading and gets a chance to appreciate the splendors of ancient India.
Here's my favorite picture from the Ellora caves:

Old Feb 13th, 2022, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks - great photos.

I visited back in 2001 from Aurangabad - definite preference for Ellora, but I'm not that into painting.
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 03:48 AM

Superb article with awesome pictures. Enjoyed the reading. Thanks
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 08:58 AM

Hi Ash,
Really enjoyed this TR here. Your presentation is well-organized and professional. That attention to form makes it easy to read and admire the imagery as well. Some TRs feature a solid block of monotonous text, with little effort made to move beyond the mundane. Your thoughtfulness as to form made a difference, as did the choice of the 'relatively less-visited'. Well-done, man!
I am done. The end.
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 06:33 PM

My heart stopped at seeing this photo. Great to go first thing to avoid the buildup of crowds and great to get those views before sunset. The best of both worlds. If I go, I will surely take your advice to get a guide.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 08:41 PM

Thanks for sharing such great pics!

My family & I visited Aurangabad, Maheshwar, Mandu & Bhopal just before the onset of Covid. Ellora caves which are but 20mi from Aurangabad are probably the finest rock cut caves in western India. The Kailas Temple cave (#16??) is the central attraction at Ellora. Chiselled by hand from a single massive rock, it has every functionality of a Hindu temple - a gateway, pavilion, courtyard, vestibule, sanctum-sanctorum and tower. It is believed to have taken 7000 laborers, working in continuous shifts and 150 years to build. You need to be careful in selecting the days of your travel, for while Ellora is closed on Monday, Ajanta caves are closed on Tuesday.

We stayed at Hotel Taj Aurangabad and were happy with both the accommodation and meals.

The road from Aurangabad was under construction, and it was a long hard painful drive to arrive at Fort Ahilya, Maheshwar. But once there, it was worth the effort. The hotel is perched on a high-cliff, overlooking the river Narbada. It is an ethnic experience that will linger in your memory for a long time!

Mandu is another great destination some 30mi away and can be done from Fort Ahilya. The single-width road passes through some pristine sceneries. Mandu is notably the most romantic destination in this area, resonating with the folktale of the romance of Baz Bahadur, the last independent king and his consort, a beautiful shepherdess! The graceful monuments are spread over a large area and takes several hours to cover. Mandu became a favourite of Mughal emperor Jahangir and his bride, Noor Jehan – who you will remember, also got built the famous Mini-Taj at Agra, the Tomb of Itmadudaulah. In his autobiography, Tuzuk-i-Jahangiri, the emperor describes these opulent celebrations (in Jahaz Mahal-ship palace) in vivid detail: “As the evening began, they lit lanterns and lamps all around the tanks and building… The lamps cast their reflection on the water and it appeared as if the whole surface of the tank was a plain of fire. A grand entertainment took place and the inebriates indulged themselves to excess...”

It is best to take packed lunch from your hotel as there is only one government run restaurant.

The Govt of India is, very shortly reinstating the commercial flights and one of the Airlines to keep an eye on is the Air India, acquired freshly by the Tatas!!

Happy travels!!!

Last edited by Moderator3; Feb 21st, 2022 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Reword to Covid
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 04:41 AM

Thanks

Thanks for this informative post.
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot thursdaysd, mukilananbu8085, shelemm, vp_singh and DD_Mazumder.
Thanks zebec for the kind words, I did recently change the way I'm writing, none of us ever read paragraphs, all we want are highlights.
Glad everyone enjoyed it, and I hope to see more folks traveling to this part of the country.