Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Trip itinerary for Tokyo, Hokkaido, and Kyoto - suggestions needed!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here'a our rough plan. We would REALLY like to check out the Izu Shoto islands off of Tokyo but are going to wait until we see the weather forecast (scared off by the tsuyu)

We need a stylish, well-located and comfy hotel in Tokyo, a nice hotel near the train station in Sapporo, and a CHEAP place to crash in Kyoto.

We are considering whether to take the train or fly from Sapporo to Kyoto. We are getting a rail pass so the night train supplement is only a little less cheaper than flying; however, it costs $$ to get from the city center to the airport, plus we need to spend $$ for a hotel

June 25: arrive in Tokyo, 2 PM. Stay in Tokyo
June 26: Tokyo or islands
June 27: Tokyo or islands
June 28: Tokyo or islands. Activate Japan Rail pass; leave at 8 PM on the "Akebono" night train to Aomori
June 29: Aomori to Lake Toya. Stay in Lake Toya (Kohantei)
June 30: Toya - Sapporo to Asahikawa- Asahidake Onsen (Hotel Bearmonte)
July 1: Asahidake and area (Daisetsuzan Shirakaso)
July 2: Leave Asahidake; head to Sapporo
July 3: Sapporo. Take Hamanasu night train (22:00) to Aomori OR Fly from Sapporo to Kyoto
July 4-Head from Aomori towards Kyoto, maybe stop somewhere along the way (depending on weather). Lake Tawazako????
July 4-8 Kyoto (with friends)
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:35 PM

It's a 7 1/2hr+ train ride from Aomori to Kyoto already so not much time to stop anywhere especially Tazawa-ko as you would have to transfer to another train at Morioka and go in another direction....unless you meant to have a long day of travel or over night somewhere and then on to Kyoto?

If you are thinking of an overnight you might consider a stay at this minshuku above Tazawako I once had the blessed opportunity of staying at, it's affordable and a once in a lifetime kind of place imho.....

http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/d...unoyuonsen.htm

If you have any Starwood Hotel points the Sheraton in Sapporo(actually just outside of Sapporo in Shin-Sapporo)is a great deal at 7000 pts per night or the cash and points deal. The hotel is located right across the JR Shin Sapporo station so easy access from train.

Lake Toya is beautiful area we have ridden through twice and wanted to stop in both times.

How long of a wait do you have between trains in Hakodate?

Train travel from Hachinohe onward is <b>much slower</b> as they do not have the Shinkansen after Hachinohe(you will have to change trains) and the trains slowed down speed are really noticeable after zipping along at the high speed of the shinkansens.

Time is getting so close, you must be excited.

Aloha!
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:47 PM

You wrote:
"<i>it costs $$ to get from the city center to the airport</i>"

But to get from Sapporo to the airport (CTS) you can just take JR. The train goes right to the terminal and is very convenient.

Both All Nippon Airways and Japan Airlines fly nonstop from CTS to Osaka Kansai (KIX). From there you can take JR to Kyoto.

Try one of the visit Japan fares that either airline offers, or the Star Alliance Japan airpass for ANA. Should be only 10,000 to 12,000 JPY for the one-way flight.

ANA and JAL both fly to Osaka Itami (ITM) but it would require a non-JR bus to get to Kyoto.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Hawaiian Traveler - we tried to book at tsurunuyo onsen a month ago but they were filled up so we might just stop to check it out anyway. Thanks for the tip! We don't have any Starwood points though.

Mrwunfrl: I am aware of the yokoso Japan fares - it's just a pain to get from the airport to Kyoto, plus we still will have to spend $$ for an extra night in the hotel in Sapporo, which we would avoid by taking the night train.

What we would LOVE to do is stop at Tawaza-ko on the way down from Hokkaido but it probably won't work out for us. Argh.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

I mean "Tazawa-ko", sorry.

Would you think half a day is enough in Sapporo or is a city worth spending some time poking around in?
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:05 PM

So, you wrote that you: "<i><u>are considering</u> whether to take the train or fly ...</i>"

But what you meant was that you "<u>had considered</u> whether ...", but decided to take the night train instead of paying for a night in a hotel.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

No, we still haven't decided whether to take the train or fly. Haven't booked the night train yet. In fact, we haven't even decided whether to spend a night in Sapporo or just check it out during the day and then take off.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM

I'd check out Sapporo daytime and take off!