Trip from Jakarta Airport to City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can have a 3 or 6 hour layover in Jakarta. Is the time and mode of transportation such that we get into the city for 4 hours. Our interest in the city would be if there are some very intersting food markets or a Quality Authentic antigue (for 16th&17th Century Buddha's) or contempory art district vs, temples or shrines?
Thanks.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Short answer: no.

There's very little of historical interest in Jakarta. It's a modern city, with the worst traffic in Asia (and I live in Bangkok, so I know bad traffic). You would easily spend an hour getting anywhere, and another hour getting back to the airport.

There is an art market in the big Ancol fun park, which isn't that far from the airport. I think it only opens in the afternoon, so whether or not that's an option depends on what time you arrive.

If you decide to go out, I would recommend that you engage a car and driver from Golden Bird. They have counters in the baggage claim area, and will save you dealing with the zoo that assaults you outside of customs (Jakarta airport makes Bangkok look civilized).
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Stan, I'd agree with Michael. Jakarta doesn't offer much in the way of sightseeing. If your stopover is in the morning I'd suggest a visit to the National Museum, but risk of getting tied up in traffic is very real. Don't underestimate this. Jakarta traffic is off the charts horrific.

Shopping -- for handicrafts and real and fake antiques -- can be very good, but stores are wide spread and inconsistent. Not much of a sense of marketing or display. The contemporary art scene while incipient is also very good, but there's no one gallery area so it's hard to know where to start.
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

MichaelKK; How far is Ancol Fun Park from the Airport with traffic and what would cost of Golden Bird be assuming we are there for 1 hour?
Is the art really touristy, carititure art,paintings on velvet, etc. or is 50+% of it really emerging artists? Obviously, I do not mean $5000+ paintings but I am not interseted in looking at or buying $20 paintings or $2 posters.
Thanks again.
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM

Stan, I think of the Ancol art market as more of a resource for handicrafts and casual collectors. I haven’t been there in some time so I may be wrong.

As I said galleries are fairly spread out throughout Jakarta. You would find some good choices – and also some other interesting shopping – in the Kemang area, which is South Jakarta. It’s about an hours drive from the airport but can be much more if you hit a bad day. Here are some major galleries who show serious Indonesian artists.

http://www.arkgalerie.com/
http://www.edwinsgallery.com/Content/Default.asp
http://www.galerihadiprana.com/compo...page/Itemid,1/
http://www.artinasia.com/galleryDeta...4&eventID=1782

Jakarta's not an easy city to navigate. Directions are hard to come by, there are virtualy no (functional) sidewalks, taxi drivers don't speak English. If you decide to venture out with a car and driver (and I agree Golden Bird or Silver Bird is the best choice) have the galleries' addresses and telephone numbers with you -- and a cellphone that works in Indonesia.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

marmmot: I think it best I stay at the airport. All i need is to miss my flight to Singapore and then the connection back to the US. I think I can just sit and read for 3+ hours
If I am taking Garuda any comfortable place in particular in the airport to sit. I do not have a "Club Pass"?
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Stan, for three hours that's absolutely the best decision. Come back to Jakarta another time and spend the night. The hotels are great and the contemporary art scene is one of the best in Asia today.

Jakarta airport isn't the best place to relax. If you're in business you can use the Garuda lounge. If not, usually you can buy temporary access to several lounges with a credit card. I don't know the cost, but I don't think it's much. If all else fails, there's always Starbucks.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank. I am set.