my boyfriend and I just booked a flight to Bangkok on 20.8 this year and we will return 4 weeks later, 18.9, also from Bangkok. I've searched the internet for tips and suggestions and bought three guidebooks, but I have the feeling my questions can only be answered by someone who has travelled the region by himself during these months, so I'm trying it here
My plan was to do the following route: Bangkok - (flight to) Koh Samui - Phukhet and surroundings - (flight to) Rangoon - travelling to various places in Myanmar overland, ending in Mandalay - (flight to) Chiang Mai - travelling overland from Chiang Mai to Krong Siem Reap and finally to Phnom Penh - flight back to Bangkok. I want to do some beach time in Koh Samui, as I heard the rainy season is not that bad there. Could anybody tell me if this is a tight schedule for 4 weeks? Has anybody travelled a route like that during the months of August/September (which I read are the worst in terms of rain)? Is it feasible? How "bad" is the rainy season? I've read everything from "it only rains once a day for two hours, the rest of the time the sky is clear" to "don't travel SE Asia during the rainy season, it's impossible".
I really don't want to spend all my days getting soaked, also as we'll be backpacking most of the time and not stay in the best hotels. I wouldn't mind that two-hours-downpour, but I'd rather not experience non-stop rain during one week. We also like to do stuff outdoors, like cycling or hiking... can you do that during rainy season? I already thought about not doing the mentioned itinerary, but heading towards Malaysia and Indonesia, where I've read it rains less... What are your experiences and suggestions?
I'm glad for every bit of help Thanks a lot already now!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 AOL @ Password Recovery CONTACT 1:800:681:7208 AOL Tec*h 24\7
- 2 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 3 Kyushu Olle Course Trail Resource
- 4 Japan in July with 20 year old
- 5 9 days in Japan in April
- 6 (Short) side trips from Singapore
- 7 6 Days in Thailand
- 8 Family trip to Thailand for Christmas and possibly New year
- 9 12 days in Cambodia January
- 10 Anti Malarial tablets in SE Asia
- 11 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan
- 12 Internet in SE Asia
- 13 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 14 Wat Arun
- 15 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 16 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 17 Question re. fees at BOM
- 18 best way to travel between Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and Siem Reap, Cambodia
- 19 Best guidebooks for SE Asia
- 20 Spa Bangkok
- 21 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 22 Using a Starling Bank card in SE Asia
- 23 cooking school in Chiang Mai?
- 24 need your help with japan itinerary
- 25 Hotel in Vang Vieng
Travelling South East Asia coming August/September - A lot of questions