Traveling to Southeast Asia in the Spring

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2015, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, my husband and I are planning on traveling to Southeast Asia in the spring. We're thinking about visiting Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Indonesia. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in those countries in March, April, and May? We haven't narrowed down the countries or specific months yet. My understanding is that the weather may be slightly different by regions in those countries. Just curious to know if anyone who has been to Southeast Asia during those months could give me some firsthand advice on the weather there. In addition - what type of clothing did you find the most helpful to wear? (Both men and women). Thank you in advance! I know it's a lot of questions!
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 12:10 AM

For a fairly comprehensive synopsis of the weather in each of those countries see http://www.selectiveasia.com click on the find your holiday button then the individual country and then the month. The results are pretty accurate and included a break down of weather within each country. April/ May is on the cusp,of the changing monsoon in SE Asia and it will be VERY hot and humid. Indonesia, being in the Southern Hemisphere has different weather patterns and it is not the best time to visit weather wise

I am sure it seemed a strsightforward enough question but it really isn't

Issue other than weather also need to be considered. Slashing and burningf of fields and forests at the end of the dry season can cause massive pollution in Laos and surrounding countries. Some years are worse than others - last year was really bad.

Clothes - it will be hot everywhere, so light, cool clothing is essential. Apart from some mountains in Vietnam we spent most of our time in shorts, skirts and tee shirts - ( the skirts were for my wife, although it was so hot I was tempted at times!). No need for formal clothes unless you plan to eat in the handful of place that require them. If you plan on visiting jungle areas then long sleeve shirts and long pants will help with mozzies.
You can visit Asia at anytime really and even when it does rain it usually comes in heavy downpours and doesn't last for long. The advantages are that, as there are fewer tourists, hotel rates are lower, attractions are less crowded and some places will be nice and green rather than brown and dusty.
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 02:17 AM

Indonesia is a big country and has several weather patterns. Looking at Bali and Java, this has been my experience:

Indonesia is right on the equator and unless you get to altitude, it is always hot and usually humid. The rainy season generally runs from November to February, but so far this year, Bali and Java have experienced near-drought conditions. It's unclear if that means that there will continue to be less rainfall than normal through early 2016, or if the rainy season will extend later into March/April.

In general, although you'll get some rain in March-May, it shouldn't prevent you from enjoying Bali or Java.

March is a transitional month -- can be rainy, can be sunny. Aside from Easter week it is a quiet time in Bali and rates are at their lowest.

( I would also note that March 9, 2016 is the date of a major Balinese holiday, Nyepi, wherein the whole island closes down -- no cars, no motorcycles, no airplanes, no work, no cooking, and at night no lights and thousands of stars. Everyone is meant to stay within their compound or resort grounds. The night before huge monster figures are paraded through the streets. Overall, it's a great cultural experience.)

April gets increasingly sunnier. May is one of my favorite months because the weather is good and the June-August tourism crunch hasn't started yet.

You'll want to dress casually favoring loose, natural fiber clothing. If you're walkers, break in a sturdy pair of hiking sandals before you come. Bring a hat. In Java, dress is a bit more conservative (covered arms, long pants for men). In Bali anything goes, except when visiting temples when long sleeves, sarongs and sashes are required, all of which you can acquire locally.
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

@crellston @marmot - thank you so much for your helpful and detailed responses. I'm glad I asked! I didn't consider the burning and slashing of fields and forests and how that can affect the air quality! I'm starting to reconsider going in those months. I do want to avoid high tourism times and high costs. What would be your recommendation for when to go? Thank you!
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 06:14 PM

I haven't travel to Laos Cambodia and Indonesia yet so I just share my experience about Vietnam for you.
Normally when you travel to Vietnam in the begin of summer time, cool and flexible clothes are predominantly in need. The weather pattern is hot and humid at this time ( good time for beaches vice versa ).
Sun-creams and hats should be considered as well if you love trekking, cause the harmful summer sunlight may abruptly oblitenate your skin.
Just think that summertime is quite good for traveling. There is no need to juggle between the high tourism and high cost. Service fee of all international procedure ( such as visa, flight ticket..) stay fixed. The most noteworthy thing you should put in your awareness is the scamming disease in Vietnam.Thus, take a look at all private price, service though experienced references you could find it useful.
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 06:28 PM

Weatherwise Bali and the surrounding islanda are good from April to October.

July/August and December/early January are high tourist season.

My favorite months would be May/June and September/October.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 07:31 AM

I think you need to start by narrowing down where you want to go. If you want to go to Bali and Java, I'd recommend a different time of the year than if you wan to go to Thailand or VN. Unless you have a couple of months, you don't want to try to visit all of those places in one trip.

While prices increase greatly around Christmas/New Year, otherwise you won't find much different prices if you choose a shoulder season when you'll likely get good weather without huge crowds. So for Thailand, I tend to recommend November, as the rains are generally ending by the beginning of November. If I wanted time at a beach, I'd wait until the second half of November and go to a beach on the Andaman Sea. November is a good time for Laos and Cambodia as well. But for VN, November usually brings torrential rains and flooding to the Hi An/Hue/DaNang areas.

Refine your plans and we can be more helpful.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your helpful and thoughtful responses! I really appreciate it!
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 07:32 PM

Vietnam is the best country for visit in March and april. but I will suggest you to first check current weather in Vietnam on the web. you can check weather on the web of all countries.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 11:52 PM

How long do have available?

Travelling around, if you're not used to it, can be slow, frustrating, and v.tiring. Catching a tummy bug might lay you low for a day or two.

Do you want to loiter, linger and enjoy two or three different places?

Or do you want to whizz around, tick a lot of boxes, but not actually see very much of what's on offer? Usually applies to tour groups.

There'll be tourists just about everywhere you're likely to travel in SE Asia. Peak times vary, for example Religious Festivals will be v.busy, and in December and January much of the region will be full of Australians on their summer holidays. Getting off the beaten track isn't too difficult, but it takes up time and might mean back-tracking.

As a first timer to the Region I'd try and keep things fairly simple, especially if you're travelling independently.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

@lancasterlad- Ideally, we plan to leave in March. We're giving ourselves at most 3-4 months. We would like to loiter, linger and definitely check out the key must-see places. We aren't interested in doing tourist packages or going to all the places that attract a lot of tourists. Ideally, we want to get a feel for the local culture and people. We're not ones to pack in as much as possible. I just feel that sort of ruins a trip. A mix of key noteworthy places and a feel for the areas would be nice. Southeast Asia is very large and I know it's just not practical to see everything on this trip. We would like to see Vietnam, Cambodia, and Indonesia. Do you think that's possible to do in 3-4 months? If so, how much time would you recommend allotting per country? I know that's a broad and subjective question, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks again everyone!
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 05:14 PM

This is how I would breakdown your time in Indonesia
5 days Central Java: Yogyakarta, Borobudur, countryside
4 days East Java: Mt. Bromo area, Ijen
3 days North Bali: Pemuteran, Menjangan
10 days Central Bali Ubud and surroundings: Nature, culture, relax
3 days East Bali: Amed, Sideman
3 days South Bali beach (or Lombok)
28 days Java & Bali (maybe Lombok)

5 days Central Sulawesi: Tanah Toraja
5 days North Sulawesi: Bitung, Bunaken, Tangkoko
OR
10 days Sumba, Flores, Sumbawa
38 days

So with transit, about 6 weeks
I would check the Indonesian holiday schedule for 2016 and avoid Borobudur/Prambanan on official holidays when they will be mobbed by local school kids. Waisak (May 21) is a huge Buddhist celebration at Borobudur, which can either be awe inspiring or overwhelming.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 12:44 AM

With 3-4 months available from March! I would probably spend 6 weeks in Vietnam, 4 in Cambodia and the balance in Indonesia ( although any

This year we started off in Hanoi, spent a couple of weeks there including some trekking around the national parks and minority villages in the mountain before heading south by train, stopping off in central Vietnam for a while. In the south we tarried awhile in Saigon over xmas before heading off through the Mekong delta into Cambodia by boat and bus.

Places I would definite consider for Vietnam include:
Hanoi
Saigon
Mai Chau to Ninh Binh "loop"
Maybe the Dien Bien Phu Loop from Sapa to Hanoi
If you want to spend longer in the north then Ba Be lakes and Ha Giang warrant serious consideration.
Hue and Hoi An
Central Highlands - Pleiku, Buon Ma Thuot
Saigon
Mekong Delta - Ben Tre, Can tho Cai Ran, Vin Long
Chau doc on the river is where you get the boat to PP and is my new favourite place in Southern Vietnam - well worth a few days!

A month in Cambodia would enable you to cover the highlights of the country (see Sartoric's excellent thread on this forum for details of her current trip).
Phnom Penh, Battambang, Kampot, Kratie are amongst the places well worth some of your time. Also some nice beaches and islands in the south. Of course the main reason for visiting Cambodia for most is Angkor Wat . I know I am in a minority here, but I hope never see the place again. Just way to overrun, overdeveloped and the fabric of the buildings is now in serious decline. Tragic.

There is some more detailed info and lots of photos on our blog @ http://accidentalnomads.com just click on the destination tab and then the country. The blog is by no means complete as we have been somewhat remiss in updating it.

Part of the joy in travelling in Asia is using different types of transport where possible, boat, train, bus tuk tuk. Travelling the reunification express in Vietnam is an experience not to be missed ( but not for everyone)

Marmot has provided a great itinerary for Indonesia. We planned to do something similar but after a month in Java and Bali over Ramadan we had had enough and decided not to return, maybe another time! We traveled by train for most of the way across the island from Jakarta ( the less time spent there the better IMO) to Malang

Highlights for me were Ijen (amazing) Bromo and Borobodur. Easier way to see Ijen and Bromo is to book a tour but choose VERY carefully, our was a it of a nightmare.

Have dived at Menjagan and Permuteran an enjoyed it but if not diving, I would probably miss it out. Ubud was nice but much more crowded than I remembered from our visit 15 year previously.

Good luck with your planning it is the fun part but can also be confusing, frustrating and time consuming but so worth getting it right!
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Wow thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to comment and leave your suggestions. I know that takes some time to do. I'll definitely consider all your suggestions and look into those places. @crellston- your site was one of the first websites I bookmarked when I first started researching for the trip! How cool! Thanks again everyone!
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 11:37 PM

Glad you found our blog helpful leejoy10 - happy planning!