Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Bali on Singapore Airlines - best stopover city?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 06:53 AM
Duck

My wife and I are planning our trip to Bali. Depending if we leave from LA or San Francisco, we can spend extra couple days in either Hong Kong, Singapore, Taipei, Seoul or Tokyo. We have previously visited Hong Kong. Appreciate your thoughts as to which city would be preferable. We enjoy history, natural beauty and uniqueness. <BR> <BR>Thanks - Duck

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 11:01 AM
Les

Of the cities you mention, I've only been to Singapore and HK (except for a layover in Tokyo). Both are very interesting, with Hong Kong being a more exciting city, but since you've been there already, I'd go with Singapore. I'd always opt for something new. Two days should give you a good overview, assuming that you at least take a half-day guided tour to get your bearings. If you can, arrange for a dinner cruise aboard a junk (don't worry, it's not the small kind that you often see in HK harbor). They cruise to outlying islands where they anchor while you have dinner, then cruise back in past the container port. This gives a wonderful view of the city, and some concept of the scope of the port (there were ove 100 ships anchored outside the harbor waiting their turn when we were there). <BR>The city is clean and safe (if it were any cleaner, you'd have to leave your shoes at the airport), and transportation's easy (subway and bus lines should get you anywhere you want to go). <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>Bring $$$ (this city is even more expensive than HK).

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 11:39 AM
Roz

Singapore Airlines has a great deal right now in Singapore if you fly with them. (valid until March, 2000 - but check it might be extended!)You can get a Super Deluxe Room - US$l42 (2 persons)for the first night and $156 thereafter. (Hotel is Marriott or Oriental). In addition you receive a voucher book that has a lot of "goodies". <BR>My husband and I are staing in Singapore on our way back from Thailand and Malaysia. <BR>Have a great vacation!

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 10:22 PM
erwin

I have been based in Singapore for more than two years now. If there is any help you need just email me. <BR> <BR>I think, since you are taking Singapore Airlines, then just choose Singapore as your stopover city. It is a great city! <BR> <BR>Cheers.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 04:30 AM
pat

I would recommend Tokyo or Seoul, because you are going to spend some time in Sin anyway since it is the hub of the airline. Although Tokyo is one of the most expensive cities of this world, but it is in the top three of best cities to live in Asia. It is a great city! <BR> <BR>Welcome to Asia