Traveling solo to Bangkok. Ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm woman going to BKK by myself and I'd like to know any recommendations as far as waht to do mainly at night, neighborhoods that I shouldn't go to, etc.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:07 PM

BKK nightlife offers bars, strip clubs, discos, theatres, concerts, classical shows, dinner shows, evening tours. Some of these things can be expensive, so some idea of your budget & tastes would help to narrow down recommendations. For example you might like Khao San Road to meet up with other girls and head out on the town together, maybe not.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:02 AM

strip clubs in BKK, where?
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:26 AM

I don't know, I only go to Thailand to look at the temples.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:03 AM

no problem for a single in bkk...very safe in almost every area...the men there are not interested generally in bothering western women...they prefer thai girls...

there is plenty to do...do some reading in guide books
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Bangkok is a fine destination for a woman traveling solo. Start by reading some of the hundreds of threads here on Bangkok and things to do, look at some guide books, and ask specific questions you may have.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

I couldn't get logged on before for I'm in Miami, FL, and we had no power due to Wilma's path.
Thank you all for your advise. So far, I've read most of the posts here on BKK and now I'm even much more excited about this trip.
I've already purchased the vacation package for 7 Ds/6 Ns in BKK, including airfare, and was thinking of going by end Feb.'06. I hear this is good time to go.
I was most concerned about the safety there but it's better now after reading all these messages. I'll be staying at the Century Park Hotel in the Pratunam - Victory Monument area (9 Ratchaprarop Road).
I'm not interested in strip clubs or meeting men. I just wanna go to see the temples and know the local culture.
I'm so looking forward to this trip now!!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Versus, glad to hear you made it though Wilma. Frankly, Bangkok is a safer city than Miami!

Can you add extra days to your package? That's a loooong flight for just 6 nights!

Yes, do try to go by the end of February.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

On my end I could add extra days to the trip, but the operator I booked through (skyauction.com) only have some options that I'm not so interested in and the price is somewhat high.
I'll see if they have other options not listed as an add-on option to my package.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:45 AM

often with package tours, which i expect this one is, you can add more days on and just arrange your hotel on your own and make your own arrangements to get to the airport...i too would highly suggest that you add as many days as you can...day one and two after arrival you will be totally exhaused from the flight...its a killer...so that only really leaves you 4 full days...

if you can extend then i would move to a better hotel if you can afford it, like the marriott resort and spa on the river or the sheraton (although i do not like this hotel)...they will be about $120 per night...

a good hotel site to look at is:

www.huahin.20m.com

you can see where your current hotel stacks up and what the relative costs are all in one place...the hotels are arranged by location....

most of us prefer the river locations..

you can also get some good buys on priceline if you know how to use it..
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Versus-it's great fun at night going solo in BKK-and New Year's Eve-can't wait! Just remember, once you see the elephants out on the sidewalks on Silom Rd., you know it's party time!

As far as nightlife, I posted the following on another thread:

Author: Spygirl
Date: 10/12/2005, 11:45 am
That's easy. First place goes to Bed Supperclub-www.bedsupperclub.com. One of the best nightclubs I've been to anywhere in the world (and not just because they let me in free without the cover charge-however, you should know that the cover charge also includes 2 drinks). Fantastic space-like decor, GREAT music, (they also between music sets have the dancers put on costumes and put on a mini-performance-very entertaining, and well done).

A sophisticated mixed crowd (NOT all westerners -so-called "farangs" -which is something I don't like to encounter, either in restaurants or bars, when there). Bed's restaurant, like its nightclub is fantastic as well (check the board here for enthusiastic endorsements of same). The first place you should head to make the night scene in BKK. Many people say they have had the greatest time of their lives there, that it's the greatest bar in the world. I wouldn't necessarily say that's an exaggeration -you'll see.

No. 2: Q bar- just around the corner from Bed on Soi 11-www.qbarbangkok.com.

This place also has a hip upscale crowd, but it doesn't start to move until after 11pm. Also a cover charge, and it has an upstairs outdoor terrace. Good for a drink and to check out the scene, but it's not as fun and unique as Bed.

For a more sedate evening, have also heard that "V9" on the 37th floor of the Sofitel Silom hotel has some great views of BKK, specializes in wine, (a sort of wine bar-but they serve everything) has live music and also a good restaurant, but haven't checked it out personally-someone I know told me they enjoyed their evening there.

Then there's Face Bangkok-another new upscale dining, performance space, bar spa all- things-to-all-people (read westerners), venue. Haven't been there, but have checked out their site-and think the Thai decor is a little overdone, and thus, it might be a little too touristy for my tastes, but don't know as yet. Mixed reviews on the restaurants there. www.facebars.com

In addition to the bars/clubs above, I highly recommend the Suan Lum Night Bazaar-billed as BKK's "official night bazaar." There are some good deals to be had here if you shop and bargain carefully, but there's a lot more than just shopping going on here-Suan Lum is an entertainment venue as well- outdoor cafes, an outdoor stage with a rock band or other music concert going on every night, and there's the Joe Louis Theatre there as well, where you can purchase tickets for the wonderful Thai marionette performances based on Thai legends. I very much enjoyed the performance I saw this past January there, and highly recommend it.

In other words, the Bazaar is quite family entertainment oriented, and safe-there's a police station within the bazaar. You just take the subway to Lumphini, and it's right there. An excellent place to hang out and people watch.

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Calypso Cabaret- in the Asia Hotel (connected to the skytrain). 8:30 cocktail show- $25- very classy female impersonators - great show - bring your camera. Get tickets at the hotel a few days before showtime to get the best seats. You will not regret it!!!!!!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Spygirl, thanks a lot for your advice. I already checked out the websites you sent me and these places are exactly my taste. We actually have a Bed Club in Miami Beach.
I see there's a lot to do in BKK during the day as well as at night.
If you're going to BKK for New Year's, I'd appreciate it if you can send me some new hot spots after that. You can email me at [email protected].
Happy travels!!