Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Traveling in Thailand in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/traveling-in-thailand-in-november-673351/)

jessicarg Jan 24th, 2007 10:18 AM

Traveling in Thailand in November

Hello-

I am new to the forum. My fiance and I are planning a trip to Thailand for our Honeymoon. We are planning on going from Nov 15-29th, we are hoping to fly into to Bangkok and then go south to the beaches.

Is November an okay time to visit Bangkok and the islands? Through my reading, I have learned that November is good for Bangkok but not until december for the islands. Is this true, has anyone experienced this? If so, should we wait until Dec to go or is Nov okay?
Any suggestions regarding a good island or beach to go to? Hotel?

How is travel within Thailand? Is communication a problem? I have traveled throughout Europe many times, but this will be our first trip to Asia. My one concern is communication.

We are planning on going to BKK for about 2 days, then heading south for about 10 days. We are up for relaxing as well adventures!!

Thnx.

robmac Jan 24th, 2007 11:20 AM

My wife and I were in Koh Samui in December 2005. We were rained out, so we moved to Koh Chang after 2 days.

Koh Chang was heavenly.

Travel within Thailand is easy.

Kathie Jan 24th, 2007 11:33 AM

There are lots of different island in Thailand, and they have different weather patterns.

If you are interested in more than just going to a beach, do spend some time elsewhere in Thailand. Bangkok is a fabulous city with lots to do and see. The far north of Thailand, the Golden Triangle is also well worth a visit. With two weeks, choose two or three locations.

Flights within Thailand are relatively inexpensive.

Also if by communication you are asking whether Thais speak English, most of the people you have contact with with speak at least some English.

Read some of the trip reports on this site. They will give you lots of ideas.

jessicarg Jan 24th, 2007 01:59 PM

Thanks for the posts. I guess by communication I meant 'do they speak english'. I have traveled in europe and took a latin based language in HS and college, travel in Europe seems like it would be easier for me. My nervousness comes because Thailand is not a latin based language and I didn't know if travel within the country was difficult because of the language 'barrier'. I am sure once we get there it will be great! Just have to put a certain amount of concern into the details:)

rhkkmk Jan 24th, 2007 06:17 PM

you will have little or no problem with english...there is always someone who can help out...don't give it a 2nd thought...

i too favor a bit more time in bkk....you might look at the marriott resort and spa for some down time upon arrival...great pool area that makes you think you are on an island...i try to do bkk at the beginning and at the end of my trips...

Gpanda Jan 25th, 2007 05:46 AM

WE always go to Thailand in November. The weather is great. In the last week of November the weather should be fine in Phuket or Krabi. We've been there 5 times and never had any rain.

English will be spoken almost everywhere.

Travel in Thailand is easy. Air travel is better than in the US. Flights to Phuket or Krabi are easy.

You might want to consider a brief visit to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand. This is very different than BKK. A typical two week trip from the US has 12 days on the ground with a split of BKK-5, CM-3 and Phuket-4. The BKK days should be split 3 and 2 because you need to fly back to BKK before.