Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Travelers from the USA to Thailand: Do you stop over on the way or go straight through?

Travelers from the USA to Thailand: Do you stop over on the way or go straight through?

Nov 5th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Gary

I am interested in traveling to Thailand from Atlanta but am afraid of the long trip.

To those people who travel from the USA to Thailand. What route did you take to Thailand? Did you stop over? If so, where? If you went straight through, how long did it take to recover from the long trip?

Nov 5th, 2001, 09:47 AM
alisa

Hi Gary, the trip is very long. You may want to get some prescription medicine to help you relax. We got Lorzapam.

For us, we flew on Japan Airlines for 12 hours to Osaka, Japan and had a 5 hour layover and then another 6 hours to Bangkok. The trip there was easier than the trip back. For me, adjusting there was easy, however when I got back, I had about a week of major jet lag and being constantly tired. However, I rather have it here than there. I don't think it is possible to go straight through. We arrived at night, so as soon as we got there we went to bed and woke up the next day at a decent time. This helped me adjust. You'll have a great experience.

Nov 5th, 2001, 10:06 AM
lynn

Gary -

Agree with Alisa.

We fly from LAX to Tokyo and then continue on to Bangkok. I think it's much better to just get it over with.

We also arrive at night and highly recommend that. We usually get into the airport at about 10:45pm so by the time we get to the hotel, it's time for bed. Perfect.

Also agree about coming home is harder. We usually take melatonin upon arrival in Bangkok and that really helps us adjust to the time change but coming home is hard. I'm usually screwy for a couple of weeks but I don't care! As long as I'm fine on vacation!

For the plane ride, I highly recommend Zolpidem. Brandname of Ambien. It lets you sleep great for 4-5 hours at a time and you have NO drowsiness, grogginess, spacey feeling, etc. afterwards. It's great stuff. I won't step foot on an overseas flight without it now.

Don't bother stopping over unless you really want to stopover in whatever city you fly through.

And when you get to the airport in Bangkok, I would highly recommend hiring a car from Thai Airways Limousine Service. Many people would disagree because it's much more expensive than a taxi but after 20+ hours of traveling it's nice and convenient. Plus, if you've never been to Bangkok, the arrivals hall can be a bit overwhelming at first with everyone trying to get your attention and telling you to come with them for a ride. If you make a beeline for the Thai Airways car counter you can easily ignore everyone else and just smile as you pass.

We are fairly well versed in getting around BKK but we usually hire a Thai Airways Mercedes anyhow. It's just easier and less hassle after all that flying. It runs about $16 and they call it the "executive car." A taxi will cost between $3-$5 and you can catch one on the departure level.

Good luck,

Lynn
T-8!!!!

Nov 5th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Chris

From east coast you might want to take the British Airway. You will stop over in London. It's about 4 hours short.(19 hrs vs. 23 hrs) It will cost you more.

Nov 5th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Mary Anne Cook

Flew Northwest out of Greenville-Spartanburg about 1-2hour stop in Detroit- stop inToyoko less than 2 hours-then Bangkok.Left at 9:15am-arrived Bangkok 10:45 pm. next day. It is a long flight,but as mentioned taking ambien makes that jetlag so much less. The return trip is harder. You are ready to go to bed upon arrival. If you have a hotel with Northwest they will pick you up on arrival and return you there when leaving. I really appreciated on my return flight last year they sent an English speaking taxi driver as I was the only one returning on that day. I will take this flight this year when I return as it seems the most direct from this part of the country. South Carolina

Nov 5th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Kathie

I fly Seattle to Tokoyo, have a couple of hours in the airport before flying on to Bangkok, arriving near midnight. I agree with Lynn about using the Thai Airways "limo" service. I take a Volvo or Mercedes, it's not that much money, there is lots of space for your luggage and it's nice to have that much metal around you on the streets in Bangkok (the traffic!).

I use melatonin to readjust my "clock". Take it after you check in to the hotel, then take a nice, hot bath and go to sleep. The next day I can get up in the morning and function pretty well all day. Take a melatonin every night about 30 minutes before you want to sleep for the first week in the new time zone. Likewise, you can use it when you come home. The trick is to only take it at the hour you usually want to sleep in your time zone. (That is, you'll get home in the morning in the US, but don't take it until that night).

The benzodiazepines people recommended (Ambien or Lorazepam) in the other posts are fine as long as you can tolerate them and you don't mix them with alcohol. Some people have had difficulties with these on airplanes, as you may awaken feeling that you're not groggy, but I know someone who walked off the plane, leaving all of his carry-ons behind and boarded his next plane! Also, it is important to get up and move around during your flight to prevent deep vein thrombosis.

Nov 5th, 2001, 04:24 PM
lynn

Kathie -

We use the melatonin as well. It works great.

I find it odd to hear of your friend. We've had no problem with these meds nor anyone we know. He seemed to have had a very unusual reaction.

Lynn