Travel within Bali, cars, guides, other destinations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm spoiled by all the great guide suggestions in BKK. Does anyone know a guide and driver in Bali? We're thinking 5 days near the beach with day trips, 5 days interior near Ubud, but would like to work our way east too. Would prefer to support a local business. Any suggestions appreciated !!
Also, this really feels like too much time in Bali -- but I'm not sure besides the trip to Borobudur what else is close enough (prefer temples, culture). We're planning on flying Sing Air from Newark to get their executive economy but not sure how to put together another Asia destination without flying all the way back to Singapore again. after Bali.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:01 PM

10 days is not too long on Bali. You'll find plenty to see and do. Get yourself a good guidebook. You'll find lots of info on temples, dances, crafts, etc.

You could take a trip to Yogja to see Borobudor and Prambanam, you should have a minimum of three full days.

A number of people on this site have used a local Balinese driver, Putu. Do a search here and you should find his contact info.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:17 PM

i have used putu in bali...he is quite excellent...he lives near ubud....he travels all over the island and has a very comfortable toyota suv...last i checked his fees were around $40 per day---very long day...let me get his address for you
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:19 PM

i have two addresses for him:

[email protected]

[email protected]

you will love him!!
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both -- I'll drop him an email. If anyone reading here thinks I'm schizie after the Burma questions -- we have been weighing both (my heart says Burma but my head says dumbie use your free 4Seasons nights while the employee benefits last) so this year it will probably be Bali. I've gone through one guide book and there does seem plenty to do.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 06:58 AM

We also used Putu Arnawa in late July of this year and do recommend him. He has a website (www.balifriend.net) that shows sample itineraries but we mixed things together to create our own. Our favorite part was visiting his uncle's compound and happening upon a cremation ceremony. Pretty sure we paid 500,000 IDR which was the equivalent of US$50-55 for the car for 8 hours.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Sorry. To clarify the price was for car and guide service. We paid for our lunch in the volcano area (kind of expensive for what we got IMO) and I think for entrance fees where necessary.