Travel waivers due to Bangkok flooding

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

United has posted a travel waiver for Bangkok which runs until Nov 18 (though the date changes with the conditions). The waiver allows you to reschedule a flight without paying a change fee.

Thai Air also has a travel waiver in place. I changed the dates of our flight to Yangon and return without a change fee.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 01:23 PM

Kathie does that mean you get to stay longer in Yangon?
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

The good news: We'll get one extra day in Mandalay and two extra days in Yangon!
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 07:13 PM

Fun!
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 09:49 PM

I just changed ours as well. We were supposed to spend the first two nights in Bangkok but changed our flight to the day after our arrival. We arrive at midnight so need to overnight at the airport hotel and then fly to Burma next day for one extra full day in Yangon. I am hoping by the time we are finished touring Burma we can spend a couple of days in Bangkok before heading for Samui, but it not then two extra days on Samui.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 10:56 PM

Hi Kathie and live42day! Well I guess I'll chime in too. I had booked 10 days in Bangkok (Dec 26-Jan 4) prior to my Myanmar visit and 3 nights after leaving Myanmar.

Frankly, for health reasons particularly, I came to see that Bangkok CBD and BKK airport too, were best to avoid until the situation normalized and I could not see an end date I could count on.

So I bit the bullet and re-routed my Cathay itinerary from Bangkok to Malaysia avoiding Thailand altogether on this trip. Now flying into Penang and staying in that area prior to flying into and out of Yangon on Malaysia Airlines from Kuala Lumpur and spend 3 days in KL before returning on CX to YVR.

It's too early to qualify for a waiver on Cathay so I had to pay a $50 change fee and a $33 fare difference. I may also have to eat my Bangkok Airways BKK-RGN return ticket if waivers are not extended to my travel dates. But in the overall scheme of things, a relatively small price to pay(compared to the total cost of my 6 week trip) for peace of mind.

After pouring over the TA flood related postings for weeks and fretting about what to do, I am very comfortable and relieved now with my decision.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 10:57 PM

P.S Kathie.....have a great trip! Looking forward to your posts.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 11:46 PM

It is sad that it has come to this but with all the ambiguity and lack of reliable information going around, I suppose it was inevitable.

I am trying to make some adjustments to my personal situation so that I can go to Bangkok and see the situation for myself and guage if there is an opportunity for me to make a difference. However, I can would not contemplate taking the family.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 04:55 AM

If I had scheduled a stop in Bangkok on the way to Burma , I would have eliminated it, as all of you have done. As it is, we just have a change of planes in Bangkok. To all of you, have a wonderful trip. Kathie-I'll be looking for your TR, especially the Mirauk U part. I always get so much info reading your TRS, and this time I will be covering some of the same ground as you.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

I should clarify that we haven't eliminated our Bangkok time, we've just cut it down to one day on the way in and 4 days on the way out.

Hey, smac, enjoy Penang. I hope you are staying in Georgetown. Penang may have the best street food on the planet!

I'm looking forward to reading all of the Burma reports this year. I'm amazed to hear how much things are changing in Burma. I will post live to Fodors if/when I can get internet access in Burma.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Kathie, I'm staying in Georgetown for three nights at the E and O...it's a splurge but what the hell! Then I'm moving to a small retreat for 5 days at the south end of Penang Island at an elevation of 560m. It's called Malihom Private Estate. I'm looking to relax, read, swim and rejuvinate from my worklife before my 4 weeks travel in Myanmar.

As much as I like Bangkok(I spent a week there last January) I am happy with my revised plan and really looking forward to a return visit to Penang. I was last there in 1994. I was backpacking then and staying at cheapies...so I am really looking forward to seeing how the other half travels at the E and O.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM

Kathy, please consider donating blood whilst you are in Thailand. Apparently there is a major shortage.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

smac, enjoy the E&O, it's a worthwhile splurge.