Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Travel to Philippines for Business - Health Concerns (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/travel-to-philippines-for-business-health-concerns-1049283/)

debtogo Jun 28th, 2015 11:21 AM

Travel to Philippines for Business - Health Concerns

Hello - I am going to Manila for work in 2 weeks. Will be staying at the Fairmont near my company's office. Have heard that you cannot drink any tap water, no ice, etc and have to be extremely careful. I would like to get some expert advice on being in Manila for business on what I should avoid and what is ok. What meds should I bring? I will not be driving and will be working all day Tues-Friday (bummer, I know..) with out to dinner probably in the evening. On the Saturday my plane does not leave until 6:30pm so I will have time for some sightseeing.

Thank you all for any help you can provide!

Kathie Jun 28th, 2015 11:52 AM

Have you traveled internationally before? Food and water precautions are routine in third-world countries. Take a look here: www.cdc.gov/travel and choose The Philippines.

Are you up to date on your routine vaccines, like Tetanus/diptheria and Hep A? Also consider the typhoid vaccine.

No doubt the Fairmont will furnish you with bottles drinking water (also use this for brushing your teeth).

Once you have leaned food and water precautions, you'll find them easy to do. These are the same precautions you would take traveling to, say, Mexico. Enjoy your trip!

debtogo Jun 28th, 2015 01:33 PM

Thank you Kathie! Yes, I have traveled internationally before but just wanted to be sure. Looks like all the same precautions apply as in the past.

Many thank for your help.

Kathie Jun 28th, 2015 04:48 PM

Yes, if you have traveled to other third world countries, then you know what to do.

jat Jun 28th, 2015 07:17 PM

I was in Manila this spring and had no problems at all. I did not drink tap water and followed the usual food precautions. I ate at both the hotel and outside restaurants. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Azooki Jul 7th, 2015 04:20 AM

On Saturday before your flight you can stroll around the city of Manila and see the classic architectures or just spend the remaining hours in a very nice Lasema Spa in Makati for a relaxing sauna, Jacuzzi, and massage before your flight.

CodyDeegan Jul 21st, 2015 09:31 PM

When it comes to food and water sanitation here in the Philippines, I can't say that you should worry about it or should worry about it 100%. But Filipinos are very meticulous in food preparation. What you need to do is be careful of what food you take in and buy bottled water just to make sure that you don't get food poisoned or get diarrhea from dirty water. Hmmm. In terms of the sightseeing thing, if you have ample time you could visit nearby provinces.

Lewis_Oro Jul 23rd, 2015 03:28 AM

I once used tablets for water purification. water smells strange, but no health concerns anymore) you can even drink water from some rill

redpill Jul 31st, 2015 02:52 AM

I agree! Always have a bottled water handy. But I've always used tap water for brushing my teeth and never had any problems in the last 4 visits I had here in Manila! :D Have some insect repellent too, especially during the rainy season to avoid getting Dengue.

CodyDeegan Aug 6th, 2015 09:46 PM

That is so true. Philippines could be nasty wet and now that it is the wet season flood and diseases are around the corner.