Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Travel to India (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/travel-to-india-30661/)

Connie Aug 15th, 1998 06:19 PM

Travel to India

My husband and I would like to go to India the end of October but we have reservations about the health conditions. We would travel with a tour (Cosmos). My travel agent said that all the people that have travelled there have come back sick. We do not want to spend our vacation, which is very expensive, being sick. <BR> <BR>If you have travelled there, could you share your experiences? If you did get sick, were you the whole trip? We would be going for 16 days-to also include Nepal. <BR> <BR>Love to hear your comments! <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Connie <BR> <BR>P.S. If you have gone on a tour, what operator did you use?

Avi Aug 15th, 1998 11:24 PM

Connie, <BR> <BR>There are basic precautions one should take to visit India. First is to always drink Bottled water. Its inexpensive. 10 cents per bottle of litre. <BR> <BR>Next always be careful about the places where you eat. Vacation to India need not be expensive. It can be managed in less than what you would spend in USA. <BR> <BR>The trick is to be on your own.

Parikh Aug 17th, 1998 09:06 AM

I have been to India 3 times before (my parents were born there), so I'll try to give some advice. First of all, get some shots to prevent diseases like malaria and hepatitis. You definitely need to drink bottled water--if it's not available, drink Coca-Cola, which is safer than their water. Also, you will get sick and lose weight. It's inevitable there. Now that I'm through with the bad parts (I hope), I'll give you the upside. You can eat like a king there for the price of going to Pizza Hut here. Everything is cheap, especially jewelry, but I think U.S. customs limits your purchases. Stay near the cities, which is where the attractions are. Bombay (Mumbai to the Indians) and New Delhi are the best. The coastline is a magnificent site. Your travel agent might have other ideas on travel in the interior of the country. Well, that's about all I can say. I hope I didn't overwhelm you with info. Good luck and bon voyage. <BR>P.S. Don't fly Air India

Nancy Marioles Aug 18th, 1998 01:52 PM

Connie, <BR>I traveled as a single woman alone on an <BR>independent tour of India, so I was more exposed to ignorant choices than you will be on a Cosmos tour. I only had one 2-hr bout of diarrhea, due to my drinking "filtered" water--only drink bottled water which is very cheap. I gained weight, the food was so delicious! Get your shots; log on to the Center for Disease Control to find out the India health precautions. I am 48 y.o., and am eagerly planning a return trip for 3+ months to India next year. Go! It is a fabulous experience.

Dennis & Lois Aug 22nd, 1998 01:40 PM

Too bad your travel agent was so negative..we spent two weeks there and neither one of us got sick! We drank only bottled water, but were more daring when it came to eating. We found the local places to be fantastic (and cheap) the food was surprisingly fresh and delicious. Go with an open mind and have a great time. <BR>

Bill Sowry Aug 25th, 1998 03:23 PM

<BR>I lived in India and Pakistan for 18months(North West Frontier and tamil Nadu(Southern India)) I travelled extensively and where I could I drank bottled water, where I couldn't I used a small porcelain water purifier you can by at any outdoors/camping store. Worked like a dream and the only time I got sick ( one day) was after a meal in a five star hotel. Certainly take the standard shots, Hepatitus A and hepatitus B and check with a doctor for any others you may need. Malaria tablets are really up to you (you can't take shots). Personally, I'd only take them if your visiting the southern part of the country( even then I never took them in twelve months in south India). There are so many strains its difficult to pinpoint the right prophylaxis to hit your bug. If you get malaria your better off killing the bug when you which type it is. If your really worried carry some chloroquin with you. Food wise I found tandoors were great( a dry bake so less water)and always safe to eat. See where the better off locals eat and you'll be generally safe. If your still concerned, just ask everybody speaks english. You have to expect the odd tummy bug but there generally minor. If your on the move and don't have access to a toilet your comfortable with carry lomotil or imodium. They will stop the flow until you get somewhere a little more comfortable. When you do get a bug just drink water for a day and you'll wash the bug out of the system and be right as rain. If you need any more help just email me. I'm more than glad to help. You'll love the place. The crowds are daunting but you get used to them. cheers Bill

Jo Harriet Sep 6th, 1998 12:15 PM

My son and I spend 2 weeks each in Nepal and India. We did get sick, although we were very careful. We drank only bottled water. In India, check to make sure the top is not just screwed on. They will refill the bottles and sell them. Brush teeth with bottled water, eat hot foods, no salads, no street vendors, no unpeeled fruits. We did all that and still got sick. Immodium wasn't strong enough. But we had brought stronger perscription medicine from the US and we got well and stayed well. We each did miss a couple of days of going out, but, for me, it was a small price to pay for the glories of India and Nepal. <BR>

flosdiner Oct 23rd, 2005 07:58 PM

The advice you have received seems perfect. I traveled to India alone and was warned by so many not to go. Everyone said you will get sick or you will cry and I heard just negative things in general.

First it is normal to get sick when you travel to a new country because your stomach is not used to the &quot;normal&quot; bacteria in food. Second if you are an American, our food is so overly clean, it makes it more difficult to travel. Follow the obvious food advice(mostly listed in the replies). To add, my friend lived in India and got sick because of a bottle of water he had on a train. Before you drink any bottle of water always look at the bottom for debris. If you find some just ask for a new bottle.

Lastly I live in Thailand and I was fighting a parasite when I went to India. Although I did get sick, it really had nothing to do with India and everything to do with a weak immune system. Despite all of the bad experiences, it was the best trip of my life and I am returning again in a few months.

www.indiamike.com is a decent place to look for information.

And yes, if you fly Air India I would be scared to eat the food!!!!! Note: I am an overly-cautious person.

Have a great trip (if you haven't left already).

lcuy Oct 23rd, 2005 09:42 PM

I have a feeling they went (or not) already as this post is from seven years ago!

shazip Oct 23rd, 2005 09:58 PM

Nothing like a conversation that is resurrected!

Paulo59 Nov 29th, 2005 06:51 AM

We are going in 3 weeks to Delhi, Rajasthan, Agra and Varanasi. I have malerone for maleria but was warned by Dr. to also get DEET lotion for exposed skin and premetherin to spray on/soak my clothes. The clothes spray supposedly lasts 2 weeks. I don't mind the DEET lotion idea but do I really have to wear only clothes sprayed in this stuff for the entire trip? Sounds like I better get a gallon of the stuff or wear the same clothes for 2 weeks. Any advice would ease my mind.

Thyra Nov 29th, 2005 02:32 PM

Wow soaking your clothes in DEET sounds pretty serious. I have travelled to Kenya, Tanzania and North Africa all Malaria hot spots and was never advised to soak my clothes in Deet.. I did be sure to take my malarone, wear long sleeves/pants at night,take vitamins, cover exposed skin with DEET (including UGG face).. also certain colors attract mozies more like light colors red and white... but soaking clothes.. that seems really like a lot.

Paulo59 Nov 29th, 2005 04:01 PM

So dark colors are better to avoid mosquitos?

suzeeQ Dec 4th, 2005 08:19 PM

i was in India for 3 weeks and was not sick at all......don't eat the raw veggies....
alltoursindia....are a great touring company that was very inexpensive..great
english speaking drivers and tour guides in
all the cities we visited......we ate at
great restaurants....drank bottled water and sometimes i forgot and used tap water
to brush my teeth.....i felt great the whole trip..no extra shots and no deet!!!!!