Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Travel Between Phuket & Koh Samui (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/travel-between-phuket-and-koh-samui-439270/)

CFW Jun 5th, 2004 06:42 AM

Travel Between Phuket & Koh Samui

Any ideas about the cost of a flight from Koh Samui to Phuket? Is it possible (enjoyable?) to go by boat? Can't decide between the two islands & thought maybe we would do both.

rhkkmk Jun 5th, 2004 06:53 PM

was in samui last week...did see that bangkok air now has twice or 3 times a week flights to phuket from samui...price should not be bad...maybe $150. or under r.t....bkk air has a monopoly on samui so it is more expensive...you might consider thai air and take ferry to mainland at surat thain (spelled wrong??) and then to phuket...cheaper probably...

did not see any boats available for the trip

CFW Jun 6th, 2004 06:30 AM

rhkkmk, Thanks. I tried the Bangkok Air website, but all I could find were flights to/from BKK from each of the islands. Maybe they just haven't updated the website yet. I follow your posts enthusiatically, and am looking forward to your trip report when you get back, particularly the Anantara & Golden triangle region. We're planning our first trip to Thailand for three weeks in February and are very excited about it. Plan to stay at the Marriott Resort & Spa in BKK on your recommendation (and that of so many other fodorites). Now trying to decide about the rest of the trip. So many wonderful choices!

CFW Jun 6th, 2004 07:03 AM

Bob, You're a gem! I looked again and found the flight schedule between Samui & Phuket. Perfect!

JamesA Jun 6th, 2004 08:03 PM

Bangkok Airways deffinately has 2-3 flights per day, takes about 45 mins. Another far cheaper and possibly more interesting way to do the trip is either the air-con express Buses which go from Phuket Town to the ferry, ticket includes the ferry trip, would take up most of the day but you actually get to see some great scenary on the way.
Another nice way is to get a car+driver and really make it a 'trip'! You can leave after breakfast and stop at Phang Nga on the way and even do the trip to James Bond Island if you wish, the road from the Phuket bridge into Sura Thani takes about 2.5 hours and is a flat road yet you see huge limestone mountains/rocks and pass though small villages, it's a nice drive. From Surat Thani it's another 1 hour to where the large ferry goes from, this can be a relaxing few hours across the sea.
If you are in a rush fly, but if you want to make the journey part of your vacation experience I would deffinately spend the day by car and ferry, by the time you have gone to the airport, checked in etc, flown etc much of the day is gone anyway. I would seriously considor the road journey as it's a very pleasant drive.

JamesA Jun 6th, 2004 08:06 PM

If there are 2 of you traveling then the car+driver would work out about the same as the flight. The driver just needs to take you to the ferry and he should go and get your tickets for you, no point taking the car across as you can just get local transport or get your hotel to pick you up. Your hotel desk/concierge in Phuket will sort for you, give them say 2 days notice easily enough.

CFW Jun 7th, 2004 04:38 PM

James A, Thanks for the info on the various options. What about travel from Phuket to Krabi? Actually, more specifically, Phuket to the Pimalai on Koh Lanta. Another thought we had was to spend some time on Phuket for activity & then perhaps go to the Pimalai for total relaxation and a little pampering in a stunning and private setting. We could make the trip part of the vacation as you suggest.