2 weeks in Thailand itinerary

Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks in Thailand itinerary

I've started planning a trip to Thailand for October 2014 for my SO and myself.

Friday Oct 10th- Depart DFW
(7am) Oct 12th- land BKK
12th-16th Bangkok
Evening of the 16th- Depart Bangkok for Chang Mai (Plane? train?)
17th- 19th Chang Mai
19th- 21st Chang Rai/Golden Triangle
21st- 25th ????
26th- 2:05 AM Depart BKK

For the 21st to the 25th I would really like to visit a beach, any beach! Myanmar? Fly to the east coast of Southern Thailand?

Any suggestions on this itinerary would be much appreciated.
As an American, my SO and I have have become very accustomed to fitting a LOT into our very limited vacation time (This trip will use up 80% of my vacation time, and I need to see my mom&dad for christmas!). We tend to do a few "cram everything possible in" trips over a few years, then pick a favorite destination to return to and truly immerse ourselves.

Thanks for your advice!
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 07:20 AM

For the Bangkok - Chiang Mai part I would recommend that you fly. There are several low cost airlines that fly that route and cheapest flight, I just took it last week, was only 850 Baht or $26.

Low cost airlines:

Air Asia - when you book do read the fine prints for extra charges like luggage, insurance etc.
Nok Air - complementary 15 kg luggage and snack on board.
Thai Lion Air - at the moment the cheapest with complementary luggage and snack.
Orient Thai - I don't trust this one as I am not too sure about their maintenance.

For the beach time I suggest Phuket and the area around the it like Krabi, Koa Lak etc. You can fly direct from Chiang Mai to Phuket on Air Asia and Thai Airways.
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 07:51 AM

Hanuman has given you good advice.

If you are thinking about Myanmar, plan it for a full trip next time you are in SE Asia. Going there just for a beach would miss the whole point. I think it needs a minimum of 10 days for a first trip.
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Hanuman! That's very helpful. Complimentary luggage and a snack?! Unheard of over here (well, except for Southwest!)

Kathie, yes, I know Myanmar deserves a lot of time (boy do I wish I had it- I'm dying to see Bagan!), I just wondered since we'd already be up in that area it might be more convenient to visit a beach in Myanmar vs. flying down to southern Thailand But thanks to Hanuman, I know that won't be super difficult!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 10:48 AM

fly to CM to save time and energy.

we love khao lak for the beach time---I stay at the jw Marriott or le meridian, but there are other cheaper places too.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Khao Lak- is that one of the 'party beaches'?

SO and I are not at all the partying type, so the quieter the beach, the better! (Especially after the hustle and bustle of Bangkok!)
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 08:09 AM

No, Koh Lak is a quieter beach, north of Phuket.

"I just wondered since we'd already be up in that area it might be more convenient to visit a beach in Myanmar vs. flying down to southern Thailand" No, flying to a beach in Thailand is quick and simple. Flying to a beach in Myanmar require a visa (which must be obtained in advance), a flight to Yangon, then a flight on a domestic airline that will make one or two stops before getting you to a beach.