Search

Transport from Airport to Hotel in Bangkok - Taxi or Driver/Limo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transport from Airport to Hotel in Bangkok - Taxi or Driver/Limo

I'm back again with more questions for the Asia experts on the Forum -

For our November trip - first to Thailand - we (both single women flying alone) arrive late night (11 pm) and early morning (5am) after long flights - from the West Coast and East Coast of the US respectively. Is it safe (or even an option at that hour) to just grab a cab at the airport or is it better to arrange for a driver? If a driver is the best option, then are legitimate drivers available "on call" at the airport or should we book a driver through the hotel (Royal Orchid Sheraton) or through a separate service?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM

Taxis are quick, cheap (maybe 350 baht) and easy and are available all hours of the day or night (just follow the signs). If you have a lot of luggage with you, you might prefer a "limo" (really just a large sedan, Mercedes or Volvo). You can get a limo on the spot at the airport (look for the sign as you leave baggage claim) and it will cost you about 1200 baht to the Royal Orchid. You could also pre-arrange a limo through AAC Limo (that's the one Bob always uses) and they will be waiting there for you with a sign. It may be a bit less, likely in the 1000-1100 baht range.

The Royal Orchid will send one of their cars for you if you'd like, the cost is considerably more, likely 2500 baht or more. There is no reason to do this unless you just like to spend money.

I take a limo from the airport, beacuse we always each have one full suitcase and one large empty suitcase when we arrive.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:39 AM

The AOT limo (private car) desk is right as you exit baggage claim. You can just get a car there on the spot. You might need to bargain a bit. They wanted 1200 baht for a car and I got them down to 900 baht when I mentioned to them that I could get a taxi for 300 baht. Personally I don't take taxis from the airport late at night. I don't want to have to deal with taxi drivers after a long flight. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Kathie - Do you check your empty bag alone or pack a small one inside the other larger bag?? I've packed an extra backpack or something similar before, but never a full sized suitcase - very smart!! Why haven't I ever thought of that before... The wisdom of true shoppers.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:58 AM

The "empty" suicase is full of packing materials - bubble wrap, styrofoam peanuts, tape, etc. So I check through two bags - one with clothes, etc and the other my shopping bag.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Brilliant! Think I'll do the same...
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:59 PM

if you have never been to bkk before i strongly suggest no taxi, but use of the limo, at least until you learn the ropes....you will both be dog tired and working or left over steam...

there is no question then about the size of you bag, etc and also the driver will know just where to go, which is not always the case with the taxis....both methods are very safe for women....

expect to pay 700-1100 for the "limo"---roundtrip will get you a 10% discount usually if you ask....i think i paid 1440 last november r.t.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM

Although our AOT limo driver couldn't find the Oriental Hotel for us last December!! He circled the neighborhood- all the way up to ROS- several times before we realized what was happening andI finally told him how to get there! Luckily, the limos are flat rate, so it was on his dime( or Baht...).
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:59 AM

The idea of the empty bag with the packing materials is brilliant!!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:16 AM

I'm glad others find my idea useful. I've been doing that for a couple of decades and have never had anything break in transit!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Yes, it is better to pay flat rate for the transportation to your hotel. On a couple of trips I have gotten in a taxi at my apartment building on Sukumvit and asked to be driven to the Oriental Hotel...not that I was going to the hotel, but to the Oriental Place Shopping Arcade in back of it...and the taxi driver more than once couldn't find the Oriental Hotel. I had to direct him on how to get there. And once my Thai friend and I were in a taxi from my apartment building and asked to go to the Oriental Hotel...again so that I could go to my seamstress at Cotton House in the Oriental Place Shopping Arcade... and we ended up at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. I was really ticked off. I asked my Thai friend to ask the driver if he was "new" in Bangkok. He said that he wasn't, but he couldn't get to the Oriental Hotel and after she told him in Thai how to get there? Then he said he'd drive us there from the Royal Orchid Sheraton...NOT...I got out of the taxi, didn't pay him the whole amount...and jumped on the river taxi for about 13 baht...and headed down river... That day I had a LOT of heavy fabric to deliver to my seamstress so I wasn't a happy camper about the situation to say the least. So dealing with taxi drivers can be a headache sometimes. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:14 AM

By the way...about the packing materials. I too carry packing materials because it's just too much of a headache to have to run around and find that stuff in another country. I pack them in a medium-large sized, rectangular, zipped-style packing cube/rectangle...I like the very lightweight ones that are sold at the British India clothing stores around Southeast Asia, but you can also use the American-made ones...like Eagle Creek... that are sold at a lot of travel stores here.

Just last weekend, I took out my packing cube full of packing materials...tape,scissors,labels,etc...and everything stays in it so it just needs to be tossed into the suitcase. I used to live in Europe during the summers back in the 70s-90s and would mail tons of stuff back by ship, so when I was traveling through countries outside of the one that I was living in, I would travel with the packing materials and then go to the post office and buy a box to ship things in.

I pack about everything in those cubes from clothing to whatever and then always have them packed and ready for the next trip and then just toss them into the suitcase. I can pack within an hour. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have the email for the AAC or AOC (two suggested - same?) Limo/Towncar Service so we can book? Otherwise, I guess airport drivers are great... Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:10 PM

AOT is right outside the door when you exit customs, no need for an advance reservation. AAC is the company Bob uses. if you do a search on the board, you should find the e-mail address supplied by Bob.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:16 PM

AAC Limo
http://www.airporttaxithai.com/

There's no reason why you couldn't just get a limo from the counter. The one time we prebooked a limo for Bangkok that wasn't through the hotel, we spent a good amount of time looking for and waiting for the driver, who in the end never showed up for either of our bookings...julietaxi.com that was. We've used the limo from the Peninsula many times, and it's flawless...as one from the Sheraton might be too. Other services...I don't see the point in booking as the counter is right there and the price isn't negotiable.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM

there was a report recently that AOT was being disbanded, but i have not seen any more about that...

michael any info? or other local??
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:32 PM

the only time i have had trouble with aac is when arriving on a domestic flight at the old airport....mainly they waited in the international area...should not be a problem at the new airport...

after that long flight there is nothing better than seeing your name waiting at the end of the greeting area outside baggage claim....there will be hundreds of names so be prepared....

maybe passengers should start carrying a sign with their name on it??
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:53 PM

If AOT is being disbanded, I'm sure that there will be another service lined up and ready to take on the job. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:33 AM

"The AOT limo (private car) desk is right as you exit baggage claim. You can just get a car there on the spot. You might need to bargain a bit. They wanted 1200 baht for a car and I got them down to 900 baht when I mentioned to them that I could get a taxi for 300 baht. Personally I don't take taxis from the airport late at night. I don't want to have to deal with taxi drivers after a long flight. Happy Travels!"

AOT doesn't negotiate prices. They have cars for 1200 (camry) or an SUV for 900. SUV is actually nicer and bigger.

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Bisbee, they actually negotiated a bit with me, maybe because it was so soon after the new airport opened. They quoted me 1200 baht to the Royal Orchid Sheraton, but they had a sign up with a "special" price of 1000 (or maybe it was 900) to the central hotels like Four Seasons, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, etc. I pointed out the special, and we talked about the prices from the old airport and they were willing to knock off 100 or 200 baht. But I agree, the car services are usually fixed price. Guenmai and I had unusual expereinces, probably because it was so soon after the new airport opened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -