Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Transit from Thai to Bangkok Airways for a 16 year old (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/transit-from-thai-to-bangkok-airways-for-a-16-year-old-630170/)

ccc Jul 11th, 2006 12:55 PM

Transit from Thai to Bangkok Airways for a 16 year old

Later this week our 16 year old son is traveling by himself to Cambodia (he's volunteering teaching English with Ponheary in Siem Reap). While he's traveled extensively - and went to Cambodia last summer - it's always been on my coat tails. While he's very smart and capable, for his mother's sake I would like to arm him with as much detail as possible regarding what he will need to do to connect in Bangkok. He's flying on the Thai non-stop from JFK and then later that evening on Bangkok Airways to Siem Reap. Can somebody who's done this recently (or has a good memory) let me know if Bangkok Airways has a desk in the transit area and if he can pick up his ticket (purchased on the web) there? and 2) any other detail that might be helpful to him. Thanks very much.

MichaelBKK Jul 11th, 2006 05:52 PM

There probably isn't a ticket to pick up, Bangkok Airways does mostly e-ticketing these days.

However, he should still go to the transit desk to check in and get his seat. That is, if he doesn't have to go through immigration to get his bags. I would be a little surprised if he were able to check his bags all the way through. That's usually only possible if the final destination is on the same ticket.

Chances are he will need to go through Thai immigration, collect his bags, then check in with Bangkok Airways in Terminal 2 (assuming this trip is before October).

You had best contact Thai and Bangkok Airways to find out if he'll be able to check bags through before worrying about where he has to go once he gets to Bangkok.

ccc Jul 11th, 2006 06:26 PM

Michael, He'll only have carry on bags. Given that, presumably he shouldn't have to go through immigration should he?

rhkkmk Jul 11th, 2006 07:17 PM

bkk air has a small lounge in the international terminal and he should go there i think....it is inside of immigration....they will direct him...it is right in the main hall and overlooks the runway...

i guess i would follow the trasfer signs and then ask for assistance....he can also ask the thai flight attendants who will be helpful to him...

from the bkk air lounge they will direct him where to go and at what time...there is free internet in that lounge too for him to use...the plane will be a bus gate flight...tell him to go to the actual gate with plenty of time to spare as bkk air takes off right on the minute if not the minute before...

he will do fine....look at his mentor

Gpanda Jul 12th, 2006 03:57 AM

If he has to clear immigration and check in at Bangkok Air, he may have to pay the 500 Baht departure fee.

Kathie Jul 12th, 2006 05:46 AM

It's an international to international flight, so he shouldn't have to clear immigration. But Gpanda is right, if he clears immigration (by mistake), he may not be allowed to re-enter without paying the 500 baht fee. The people at the transit desk and the Thai ground staff will be helpful in directing him to the Bangkok Air lounge.

tker Jul 12th, 2006 06:09 AM

I think he can check his bags through. We had a separate round trip ticket from BKK-HKT. When returning to the US, they checked our bags at HKT they went all the way through to JFK.

Both were on Thai-so that may make a difference.

tker Jul 12th, 2006 06:10 AM

I can also tell you that English speaking information people are everywhere at the airport and VERY helpful.