Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Trains from Kyoto to Tokyo -- fastest options - how to research?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am going on a business trip to Japan with meetings in Tokyo at start of week, then Osaka. For last 2 days, I am going to spend time in Kyoto before flying out of Tokyo.

Question: I want to maximize my time in Kyoto and find fastest mode of transport between Kyoto and Tokyo on last day. I have a 5:45pm flight from Tokyo on Sunday 11/20. I assume that I need to be at the airport at least 2 hrs ahead plus wiggle room in case I get lost/delayed.
If I leave Kyoto via train, is there a shinkansen that goes directly to Tokyo? Which station is closest to the airport? I tried to use the hyperdia site but did not know all the correct station names and was running into some trouble.
What is the best way to research the various options? Obviously, I need to allow plenty of time so as to not miss my international flight.

Many thanks, in advance, for your help!
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM

Assuming you don't have a JR Pass, you can take the Nozomi 18 leaving Kyoto at 11:52 - it arrives at Shinagawa at 14:06 - then you take the Narita Express 33 at 14:20 which arrives at Narita at about 15:30. I did this with Hyperdia - it takes time to learn it though - you need to uncheck the boxes for airplane, private railway, ordinary train and express to get the fastest route......and put Shinagawa as a pass by which doesn't always work....or else just do them separately to see your options. Shinagawa is a much easier transfer point than Tokyo Station imo. Hope that helps. Enjoy your visit to Kyoto - I will be there then as well and it should be right in the best part of koyo time!
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM

Note that in your search that you can choose the arrival time (option is just below the time). Do the search like Mara described. Then you can click on the "interval time" on a Ltd Exp Narita Express (N'Ex) departure from Shinagawa to see arrival times to see what your arrival time options are.

I'd probably choose the 15:27 arrival with the 15:57 arrival as a backup. So departure from Kyoto at 11:52. If I miss the connection to the 15:23 arriving N'Ex then I'll make the 15:57. That plan works for me, having backups for each train. Of course, you could plan on an eariler option.

Assuming I miss I miss the Kyoto departure, I searched for a departure at 12:00. The next departure from Kyoto is at 12:16 and that connects to the 15:57 arriving N'Ex.

The Narita Express stops at terminal 2 first and then terminal 1 a couple minutes later.

Here is a list of airlines and what terminals they use.
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/t_info/index.html

There is an Attention! note there about code-share flights. You would want to be sure to know who your "operating carrier" is and go to the terminal for the "operated by" carrier if it is a codeshare ticket.

Mara's reply gave you what you needed. I just wanted to mention the Arrival time option and the interval time lists, and got a bit carried away.
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 08:42 PM

That was supposed to read like this:

I'd probably choose the 15:27 arrival with the 15:57 arrival as a backup. So departure from Kyoto at 11:52. If I miss the connection to the 15:23 arriving N'Ex then I'll make the 15:57.

Assuming I miss I miss the Kyoto departure, I searched for a departure at 12:00. The next departure from Kyoto is at 12:16 and that connects to the 15:57 arriving N'Ex.

That plan works for me, having backups for each train. Of course, you could plan on an eariler option.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Bless you for providing all these details. Much appreciated!