Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Train vs Taxi from BKK to hotel
Notices

Train vs Taxi from BKK to hotel

Oct 22nd, 2016, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Train vs Taxi from BKK to hotel

We arrive next month into BKK at 1:30pm. I'd prefer to take a taxi, rather than the train, to the Shangri-la Hotel, if only because we will be tired and it will be easier than having to transfer trains on our first day in a new city; however, what should we expect from traffic at the time of the day? My thought is that, since the hotel is right next to the highway, city traffic will be minimized, but if we are talking 90 minutes by taxi vs 30 minutes by train, I might be willing to deal with the train. Your expert advise is appreciated, as always.
Oct 22nd, 2016, 05:34 PM

I'd take the taxi. It's likely to be in the 30-45 minute range via taxi. Yes, the Shangri-La is right next to the expressway.
Oct 22nd, 2016, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Kathie!
Oct 22nd, 2016, 11:48 PM

I'd only take the ARL [train] if...

- I was travelling light

- I knew exactly where I was going, and that the station was v.close to my hotel. If it meant transferring onto the skytrain then I'd definitely give it a miss.

- It was outside of peak passenger times. The carriages get v.full, and idiots wearing big backpacks tend to keep them on their back and lose all sense of spacial awareness.

There can be quite a few steps or out of order escalators at stations. I recall having to walk down over 100 steps with luggage a few years ago.

If you want to change any money at the airport on arrival, then you'll get the best rate at Super Rich on the ARL level, which is basement level.

Search this Thread