Train travel Thailand thru Indonesia - opinions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2014, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are exploring various trip options and transport methods for a trip that will last approximately 4 weeks.

One option is a southern India trip after having visited the Rajasthan areas and Varanasi. If we do this trip we would include Mumbai and Calcutta, using planes, trains and private drivers.

The other option is a trip originating from either Bangkok which we have been to, heading down to a beach area for several days and then proceeding to Malaysia and Indonesia including the last week in bali. Or, originating in Kuala Lumpur, train to Singapore, plane to Jakarta, train and ferry to bali with stops along the way.

For those who have done both trips, please weigh in on what was most interesting.

Has anyone done the later trip primarily by train? Note we enjoy the experience of train travel and have taken advantage of overnight trains whenever possible in order to save travel time.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 12:09 PM

I have visited all of the SE Asian places you mention. If you originate from KL then to Singapore, do not fly to Jakarta, fly into central java. We took a train from central Java to eastern Java. I have a trip report on Java, just click on my name. The flights are so short, you are not saving travel time by taking overnight trains.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 12:37 PM

we did not find Kolkata very interesting.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 01:07 PM

We enjoyed Kolkata - mostly because we did Calcutta Walks (as per dogster's recommendation).
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Kathie - I have read your reports and am particularly interested in the temples as you are. Are you suggesting skipping Jakarta?

How many days should we devote to bali? We are not so interested in beaches, although we will like take a day or so to see them.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 03:39 PM

min 5 full days on bali but 7 is better if you plan to use a driver on some days..

one of my thoughts about Kolkata is that it is way on the other side of the country.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 06:36 PM

Years back I traveled extensively by train through Malaysia and Thailand. It was a terrific experience and though the service and ambiance remain good, the scenery most likely has changed a good deal (less rain forest, more suburb).

The same for when I lived in Hong Kong and traveled to many Chinese cities; the train service was efficient and always interesting.

Even though I've lived in Indonesia for nearly 20 years, I've not warmed to Indonesian trains. The service is unreliable and disorganized (though always friendly), the trains are gritty, the connections inconvenient. Although you can get some wonderful mountain views -- the route from Jakarta to Bandung is especially notable -- most long distance travel across Java is fairly repetitive.

I think the idea of exploring the Central and East Javanese countryside and villages around Yogyakarta, Surabaya, Malang, Bromo, Ijen is a good one. To get from place to place you could use a combination of air, train, bus, private car, with day trips from each hub city. Because of the topography the distances are greater than they appear.

As I always say about Jakarta, it's a great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit. There are better places to spend your time. As Kathie advises, fly into Yogya or Solo (Surakarta) and start your Indonesian journey from there.

If you go to Bromo and/or Ijen (which I recommend) you're reasonable close to the Bali ferry crossing, but it will use up most of the day to get there. In Bali, you land at the far northwest corner which is a good 4 hour drive to Ubud.

So going back to Surabaya and flying into Denpasar is similar in transit time and simpler logistically, unless you intend to stop in north Bali. I would only do this if diving/snorkling are high on your list.

I could easily fill up a week (or even two) in Bali. I'd concentrate on Ubud and spend some time in the area around Munduk which is north of Ubud. I enjoy Bali's beach culture -- especially around Seminyak/Petitenget.

What time of year will you travel?
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. Marmot - the time of year is yet to be determined. We are caring for a sick relative and can't get away at his time. Half the fun though is in the planning and I like to be prepared for when we can get away. Another trip we have considered is southern Italy, but that I would like to do in the spring time before it gets too hot. What would you consider the best time for Malaysia, the Indonesia peninsula and bali?
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 12:30 AM

I'm not sure about Malaysia. For Java and Bali I would just avoid the rainy season, roughly November to March. For Java I would also steer clear of Ramadhan and the holidays following. This year Ramadhan starts June 28. The holiday period is end-July early-August.

My favorite months in Bali are June and September, before and after the busy season.
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 03:12 AM

Skip Jakarta- not much to do/see and the traffic there is one of the worst in Asia.
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 05:12 AM

We travelled by train through Malaysia and Thailand years ago, so can't comment on how things are at present, but we were in Java last year by train. Still the same.

Asia is frustratingly lovely, for every step forward in a city, skyscrapers and clean streets, nothing changes outside, including on the trains.

One good thing in Indonesia on trains is the "femina" carriages if you're travelling alone as a woman. They're very clean and quiet, for women and children only, but if you are travelling with a husband or male partner he must travel separately in cattle class.
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Taking notes for a future trip (hopefully sooner than later).