Train time from Jerantut to Kota Bharu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to plan a brief 2 week pre-retirement trip around Malaysia for Mrs Lf & I & wondered what folks think (apart from 'you're doing too much'). Regretfully have decided to forgo Kinnabalu (mountain refuge was booked up months ago) & Borneo/Sarawak, but only on condition we go another time. Instead - straight from touchdown at KL from UK to Georgetown by Firefly, 2 nights at Mango Tree Place, ridiculously cheap flight to Langkawi for 2 nights at Palms Guest House (but after booking find the rave review owner has sold up - may go the other extreme & try Bon Ton), fly back KL, shoot across to the bus station to get to Taman Negara, hopefully 3 nights at Travellers Home & some soft jungle fun, Jerantut to Kota Bharu (this is where I need some advice - any idea how many hours is the train journey from Jerantut to Kota Bharu? Schedule says trains at 1230, which sounds best or 0200, or 0300?)

Then bus from KB to ferry/speedboat & over to Perhentian Besar - 5 nights for snorkelling & chilling - where? I really like the TA reports of Abdul's Chalets, but it seems this may be booked already. Any clean comfortable options - do not like glam resorts. Then Air Asia or Firefly from KB to KL on Saturday midday, o/night at Traders then back to miraculous spring weather in UK.

Views welcomed!
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't shortchange KL - I really enjoyed Chinatown there. Loved Perhentian Besar, although I'm not usually a beach person. I stayed right on the beach at Perhentian Island Resort, but it was back in 2002. (See http://wilhelmswords.com/asia2002/index.html - Sons of the Soil)

Have you checked seat61.com for links to sites with timetables? I wouldn't rely on them too much, though. My train from Butterworth to Bangkok was canceled last week... You might look at buses - the long distance buses in Malaysia are super comfy.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Ah no I have plans for KL, just not this time. Like it or not we've only got 2 free weeks so I see this as a first sighter shot before a 3 or month opus in SE Asia next year. Thanks Thursdaysd, our son had recommended Tioman after his jaunt about 5 years back, but Perhentians seemed less developed. You're right seat 61 doesn't have a detailed & timed scedule, & the local train company site is ...difficult. I'll phone them to get chapter & verse, but buses may be the answer. we just wanted to vary it & have a long train trip.

I liked your SE Asia glimpses so thanks for the link to your earlier travels. And we were in the Isle of Skye 2 years ago - you should go to Harris next time, magical, mystical even & wonderful caribbean colour white beaches but rains big time! We also enjoyed tea at the impossibly deco Willows tea room in about 2002. Thanks again
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the Harris tip - after too much hot and humid in Asia I'm looking for somewhere cooler for the summer - have been thinking Scandinavia but it's pricey - going back to Scotland might be good.
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

We've only been to Scotland in Spring/Easter & Autumn/Fall - folk & guide books tell us that in summer the highlands & islands are plagued with zillions of tiny swarming midges - not harmful but intensely annoying! Just a thought. A local Perhentian travel agent (Anjung Travel) is advertising a 6 hour mini-van route from Taman Negara to the jetty for the Perehentian islands for R95. Although the train sounded fun, this might be a more sensible direct option & that way we could stay a day & night in KL for the food & shopping.