Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

trail map of Huangshan (Yellow Mtn) in China?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where can I get a good, detailed map of the hiking trails in Huangshan, especially the "circular" path of the newer "White Cloud Scenic Area/Xihai Grand Canyon"?

All of the maps I can get in the internet are the very basic ones from tour companies. I wonder if that was it, or whether a more detailed one exists. Thanks
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 05:07 AM

I was doing some research on Huangshan earlier, and this is the best one (in English or Chinese) that I've seen. Still not very detailed:

hscct.com/ehsmap.htm
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 05:11 AM

This one is bigger and has Chinese. But again not very detailed:

http://www.chinaodysseytours.com/hua...ps/big_map.jpg
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan ...
Thanks ... I have both of these maps that you posted, from the internet, and they are both missing the so-called new "White Cloud Scenic Area" at the west side of Huangshan (Heavenly Sea).

I have also searched some hiking site without succes, and am beginning to wonder if whatever I found so far is all that is out there.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:43 AM

My guess is that the White Cloud Scenic Area is close to the Baiyun Guest House, to the south of the Xihai area. Baiyun = White Cloud.

Just a guess.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan .. you seem to know the area well.

What is the best way to go from the airport to the mountain? I want to go on my own instead of joining a tour, and so will fly from Shanghai to Huangshan (forget the city name). When I get off from the flight, what options do I have to get to the mountain gate? or should I stay in the Huangshan city overnight and get a bus there. If I get a cab I don't know how am I going to depart cause I don't think there will be a line of taxis at the park gate waiting.

Thanks
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 08:35 AM

John - No, I don't know the area well. My parents have visited Huangshan several times (before and after the cable cars), but they go in a small group with everything arranged for them.

The airport is at the city of Huangshan, but it's still some distance from the mountain. I am sure they are coaches, or you can hire a car/van to get there.

Sorry, I don't have further info.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:37 AM

Hi John
I dont know of any better maps than the ones you have but do know the area quite well ... when you arrive at the airport you can do one of 2 things. You could take a taxi straight to the foot of the mountain (about an hour away) or you could take a taxi into town and stay at the international hotel. It is a reasonable hotel and you can pre-book. The taxi ride should cost no more than 20yuan but you could get it for 10yuan if you bargain well. The hotel is next to a large church and is on the outskirts of the town. The staff are nice and the rooms are pretty good. I wouldnt recomend eating there though as they are set up for groups and charge a lot for individual travellers. Plenty of nice restaurants in town though and you can walk into town (about 10 minute walk) along the river. It is a straight walk. There is an "old town" which is worth a quick look, and a good bank and post office if you need to change travellers cheques or send stuff on. You can then arrange for a taxi (cheaper than from the airport) or can get a bus to the mountain. It is a great place to visit ... enjoy!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Millymolly:

Thanks for your response - I missed it because nobody had responded to my post since July 2006 so I am no longer tracking it.

I have gotten 2 quotes from tour groups that arrange for air tickets and hotels ad transportation (no guide, which I don't need anyways). The price is about US$400-500 per person. For our party of 4 it's $2000, which I believe is quite expensive for a 2.5 day trip to Huangshan.

I am really tempted to do it ourselves. Hotels in Hungshan are easy to book, flights from Shanghai to Huangshan are harder because Elong and Ctrip don't have the price and schedule out for May yet. The hardest thing I believe is the ground transportation in Huangshan. You said a cab from Tunxi airport into Hungshan city is about an hour drive and should cost no more than
20 yuen (rmb). That is very inexpensive, considering one tour operator quoting us US$80 each way for pick up at our Shanghai hotel (to airport) and back. BTW I dismissed that because I can get a cab myself at half that price.

In Huangshan it may be easy to get a cab from the airport to the hotel, and from hotel to the cable cars. But what about when we descend from the mountain on the last day to go to the airport? how easy is it to grab a cab at the base of the mountain? if there are no cabs around how would we get to the airport???