Best "base" Phuket, Phi Phi or Krabi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of spending 8 days in the area and I'm wondering which is the best location to use as a base. I love the preceived remoteness of Phi Phi, but wonder if we will be limited in our activities (restaurants, evening activities) if we park there. On the otherhand, Phuket seems to offer a lot more options as far as dining and activities, but will we need to stay in a monster hotel and give up the quaintness? I'm not sure where Krabi falls into the spectrum.

Any advise? Should we look at 4 days in 1 locations and 4 in another, rather than trying to do it all from one city? How often to do boats run between Phi Phi and Phuket/Krabi. Can we do day trips from Phi Phi or would that be too much travel?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM

With 8 days, I'd have to split my time or I'd go crazy. Then again, that's just me. I like to keep moving or I get bored. We're actually spending six nights between all three of those locations in April
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:53 PM

I would split up your time between two of the beach areas.

We spent 5 nights between Phi Phi and Krabi, 2 on Phi Phi and 3 on East Railey.

You can easily do day trips from both of these areas. We did a kayaking trip from Krabi and a trip to Phi Phi Leh from Phi Phi Don.

Our bungalow at Toh Ko Bungalows on the east coast of Phi Phi Don was a little slice of peace and quiet with our own beach. Very basic but clean and friendly.

We stayed at Sunrise Tropical on East Railey and it was a very nice resort with incredible rooms and very friendly.

I am loading my trip photos as we speak so look for them in a couple of days when I get them titled.

Cheers!

Tamara
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:33 PM

I think I'd split my time also - perhaps between Krabi and Phi Phi or Krabi and Kho Yao, just off Phuket nr Phang Nga Bay

http://andaman-island-hopping.com/islands/yao.htm

You can take a day trip to Phi Phi from Krabi if you decide not to stay on the former. Island hopping in that area is very easy, not particularly time consuming and scenic as you tend to be on a boat.

Tip - don't go below deck on the boats, especially if the waters are choppy, it can make you quite sick. Best to stay up top and face the spray. If it is raining, others may think you are mad, but watch them come back up from below green as apples about 20 mins later...make sure you wear plenty of sunscreen and a hat though
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:52 PM

You mentioned something about wanting some night activites and restaurant choices so... maybe Phuket should be one of your stops. It is easy to get to Phi Phi from Phuket. There are ferries and tour boats coming and going more than once a day (I'm quite sure).

Phi Phi would be too quiet for me for 8 days, but Phuket has plenty to do. And no, you don't have to stay in a mega resort!! Take a look at Mom Tri's Boathouse or Mom Tri's Villa Royale. I've stayed at both. I prefer the villas, but they are priced pretty steep.

I've not been to Krabi but have heard good things about the area.