TOURING TO GUANGZHOU & SHENZHEN

Oct 19th, 2001, 08:40 PM
Chandra Tso

TOURING TO GUANGZHOU & SHENZHEN

My husband and I will be traveling to Hong Kong arriving on 11/20 departing on 11/23. We would like to take a day trip to Guangzhou & Shenzhen. I wasn't sure if we could do this all in one day or if it is more advisable to do it in two days. We have a multiple entry visa already in hand. I was also hoping to hear from someone regarding recommendations for a reliable,english speaking tour guide/driver, with resonable prices. We would like to explore these two places on our own and have a driver take us instead of going on a tour group. We do not speak Chinese (my husband does but very little). We will be staying at a 5 star hotel but was hoping to save some money hiring a driver outside of the hotel.

Any help anyone can give me will be much appreciated!

Oct 21st, 2001, 06:40 AM
Michael

Been to Shenzhen and Guangzhou lots. Would suggest an early morning flight to Beijing or Xi'an and overnight for a two day visit to one of those cities. Or Shanghai, etc. (Someplace where there are things to see and do)

Oct 21st, 2001, 04:25 PM
Chandra Tso

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately, we are on a limited time frame and would not be able to stay overnight in Shenzhen or Guangzhou. We are only in Hong Kong for 2 full days and would only be able to make a day trip to those locations.

Oct 21st, 2001, 09:21 PM
Peter Neville-Hadley

For a day trip Macau would make a far better choice. There are jetfoils and other craft leaving about every 15 minutes for most of the day, and less frequently right through the night.

While there's been a lot of building recently, the centre still retains its old Portuguese flavour, and is pleasantly different from Hong Kong. The jefoil ride is itself quite fun, and one day is just right for visiting a selection of its various sights.

Shenzhen and Guangzhou are both cities of spectacular ugliness, and boom town Shenzhen certainly has nothing of any antiquity or much interest, unless you are set on the purchase of fake products, discount multi-regional DVD players, etc.

On the other hand you could stroll through the back streets of Macau and stop for coffee and pastries, visit its excellent museum, admire the views from the fort, and so on...

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Oct 25th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Chau

I can't agree more with Peter. In the first place, 2 days is rather short a stay in HK. If you are thinking of doing a day trip, Macau will be THE choice - it is far more interesting than Guangzhou and Shenzhen.