Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > TOSSING UP BETWEEN SOMERSET LAKE POINT AND AMARI BOULEVARD...ANY THOUGHTS.

TOSSING UP BETWEEN SOMERSET LAKE POINT AND AMARI BOULEVARD...ANY THOUGHTS.

May 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

TOSSING UP BETWEEN SOMERSET LAKE POINT AND AMARI BOULEVARD...ANY THOUGHTS.

I'm considering these 2 hotels for the final 2 nights of our trip next month. Both get good reviews, currently have great deals and are reasonably well located. Because we need to get 4 of us into the one room (kids 7 and 10), our options within a reasonable price range is limited.

We want to be in the Sukhumvit area for shopping/ restaraunt access within reasonable distance of the skytrain and have a reasonable pool. The Amari is much closer to a station but we would get a studio for the price of a 1 bedroom unit at the SLP, which apparently offers complimentary tuk-tuk transfer to the skytrain.

Has any-one stayed at either of these or have any better options that fit our criteria. Looking at an absolute max of 4000baht per night inclusive of extra bed charges.
May 13th, 2009, 05:04 AM

Shane

I've not stayed at this particular Somerset, but I did stay at the one that was called Somerset Suan Park View. It is under a new name (I think) now. This location would be in the Sukhumvit area, would be quite close to the BTS station at EITHER Ploenchit or Chitlom. The Chitlom Central Department store is probably 5-7 minutes away. This Somerset had lots of families staying there when I was there. The breakfast room is bright and cheery and the apartments are roomy.

Carol
May 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM

have you looked at the marriott courtyard....they may offer double doubles? also the bangkok holiday inn on plenochit...
May 13th, 2009, 01:38 PM

While the Amari is in a better location as far as walking to the skytrain, the Lake Point will give you lots more room space and cost a lot less than the other. A 2 bedroom (96sqm)at LP can be had for 3825 baht + 5% service charge.
May 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM

I stayed at the AB for a couple nights. Its an ok hotel, but I often wondered how many hookers and unsavory guys spent "quality" time in our room. The area is rife with that element.
May 13th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

Scotters, we are looking at the 2 bedroom units as the pricing is good. I can get a studio at AB for 2200 a night but they charge an extra 1400 baht for an extra bed for a 10 year old, so location is the only question.Also,they have a tower A and B with the A being a bit more expensive. Would you know if there is a significant difference with the quality if the rooms?

Mango, I was a little concerned that there may be too much action around the area, so that may be another reason to skip the AB. I know Nana Plaza is on the opposite side of Sukhumvit. Is there much in the immediate vacinity? I might take my own pillow cases.

Carol, The SLP is on soi 16, almost half way between Rama 4 and Sukhumvit. They run a complimentary Tuk-Tuk to Asoke station, so it's not ideal but if it runs frequently enough it may work. I wanted to stay at Adelphi but Kerry wanted a place with a pool.

Bob, both the hotels you mentioned are ideally located but well over budget. The Holiday Inn only do extra beds in their deluxe rooms and would end up at 6300baht without breakfast. I have put an enquiry in to find out if there are any deals on offer as it looks really good.
May 13th, 2009, 09:23 PM

The A Tower is a little bit nicer than B and has the larger pool. B has a good kids play area. Also the 2 bedroom in A is larger than B

When you say studio at the AB do you mean the superior room. Price is good if it includes taxes/service charge and breakfast. But cost of an extra bed is very high. Also the room will only be around 30 sqm. Small for 4 people to fit.
May 13th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Yes Scotters, that's what they are offering the superior room
For at the Amari, 2299baht per night and they charge only an extra 100 baht per person for bkfast. The extra bed charge was actually 1200 baht,which I queried, but they said that they have the same extra bed cost for children as they do for adults. So all up it would cost us 3899 baht inc breakfast for the 4 of us as one child only gets charged the breakfast cost. It is a special on Sawadee until July.
Amazing how prices can vary, that is a very cheap breakfast but I could almost buy a roll out bed for 1200baht!

If it wasn't for the slight doubt about the location, the 2 bedroom deluxe tower b at the Somerset for 3800 all up would be an easy choice but I still wonder if the tuk-tuk transfers will be a little spasmodic.
May 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM

It is about a 10 minute walk to the skytrain which is not long but with kids and the heat, the free tuk-tuk service is a better option. Don’t worry their tuk-tuk is quite safe (not like the regular normal ones on Bangkok streets) and the kids will get a kick from riding on one. If coming back after dark take a taxi from the skytrain as the street to the hotel is dark for walking or wait for their service.

You will appreciate a serviced apartment over a hotel room for the space and the kitchen facilities for making kids snacks etc.

Search this Thread