Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Top sushi restaurants in Tokyo where I can get a reservation?

Old Sep 1st, 2017, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

I'm trying to book a reservation at a top sushi restaurant in Tokyo for November. I've been doing my research on Tabelog but I keep reading that most of these places do not take reservations for new or foreign customers.

Does anyone know which top sushi restaurants will accept my reservation? Looking for something $300 and under. Saito, Sugita, Mitani, Sukiyabashi Jiro, Arai, Sushi Sho, Sawada, Kimura, Tokami etc. Also, are reservations generally only accepted on the 1st of the month prior to my requested date?

Thank You
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 01:00 AM

You'd probably have the best luck asking your hotel to do it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 12:57 PM

I agree. I would hand it over to the hotel's concierge. The concierges at my hotels were great at handling a lot of things.

Happy Travels!
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 11:24 AM

Unless you speak Japanese, generally your best option will be to ask your hotel concierge for assistance. You might try the Pocket Concierge app - they have some great restaurants (Sublime, Hajime), but not sure about great sushiya. The problem is generally that the best sushiya are tiny and may not have any English speaking staff (or really any staff to speak of in some cases).

As to my knowledge of some of the ones mentioned...

- There are varying reports about whether Jiro will even serve guests without a Japanese speaker in the group; I've simply never had any luck with a reservation in multiple attempts. I have, FWIW, eaten at his (younger) son's sushiya, which was fantastic and very hospitable. It has a good reputation (2 stars, IIRC) and is not a bad fallback.

- Saito is great (went years ago), but when I tried for last November, they were booked at least 6 months out, so you may be too late.

- Sawada is incredible and is, hands-down the best sushiya experience I have ever had. Six seats with two seatings a day. Just Sawada-San and his wife. His English is better than he thinks, but not great. Still an awesome experience though. Note that the menu price includes sake, so it is on the higher end of the scale. He loves baseball, so if you are a fan, it can be an icebreaker.

- On our last trip, we went to Taku, which isn't on your list, but was a great experience. Bigger, but still with individual attention. Best sake pairing experience of any sushiya I've been to.

Arai is next on my list. Need to get back.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 11:49 AM

Old Sep 7th, 2017, 12:37 AM

Why only sushi? It's not the most flavoury and tasty dish, though.