too hot to go to thailand/sea in april?

Feb 6th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

too hot to go to thailand/sea in april?

my friend and i are planning a trip to thailand/cambodia/vietnam the last 2 weeks of april. any advice on the weather? is it too hot to go? i read that the high will be 95 degrees in april and may.
Feb 6th, 2006, 09:22 AM

I'm told April is the hottest month....Got Ratt?
Feb 6th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Thai weather in April....awful. Happy Travels!
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:02 AM

I would definitely NOT go to Cambodia in April if what you want to do is see Angkor since it will be impossible. Thailand is doable if you have a driver and take it slow.
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:06 AM

i would not say impossible but very very uncomfortable
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:21 AM

And trying to do all three countries is really crazy. This will only be fun and interesting if you take it slow.
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Bob-- trust me, for me it would be impossible. But you're right for other people it would just be difficult, uncomfortable and unpleasant. . Unless of course you thrive in 95 degree heat with high humidity.
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM

My husband and I have a joke; we look at the international weather listings in the newspaper and ask, what's the weather in Bangkok? The answer is always 95 degrees and 98% humidity.

I've been there in November, December, January, February and July. This time, I'm going in April.

If it were the choice between going or not at all, then I'd go. Just make sure to pace yourself and stay places with A/C.
Feb 6th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Oh I would definitely go to Bangkok. It's Siem Reap I'd save for another time because everything you want to see is outside.
'
Feb 6th, 2006, 11:58 AM

As for the weather...I've been to Bangkok at different times of the year and the weather hasn't always been 95 degrees with 95 percent humidity. I was just in Bangkok, for three weeks, and upon landing on Dec 18th, the temperature was about 72 degrees and no humidity. For the first two weeks there, it was very decent weather in the 70s to mid 80s I would say and not humid. It warmed up a bit the third week, but the whole three weeks were definitely cooler and more tolerable than the weather we have here in L.A. in September. I remember that Gpanda was in BK at the same time I was and also commented about it feeling like San Diego. So,the weather isn't written in stone for Dec/Jan, but it sure is for March/April. It's blazing hot. Once I cancelled a plane ticket for April at the very last minute because I just decided I didn't want to deal with that kind of heat again...had been there around the same time before so I knew what to expect. I took my money and bought a fast/discounted ticket to Scandinavia and Paris for April instead. But, yes, it's doable weather for some...I've even done it...but didn't like it. And I can't even imagine if one wanted to do the weekend market during that kind of heat. Happy Travels!
Feb 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM

meyogore, I can only speak for Thailand and would say if you can only go in April you should still do it but if you can be flexible do it another time ! I Have been in April and enjoyed it but the humidity is a killer ( I actually welcomed the kids squirting me with water during Songkahn!). Kristina, you will certainly notice the difference from the months you have previously been and April ! Hope you both enjoy it nevertheless.
Feb 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all of your help! perhaps i'll move my trip to september or october.
Feb 6th, 2006, 06:20 PM

make it october...september generally is the wettest month of the year with flooding in bangkok
Feb 6th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Yes, September is not good. When Bangkok floods, NOTHING moves. Once in summer 2004, there was a downpour the day that I arrived and the hotel person,who picked me up at the airport, and I sat in the van...in the underground airport parking structure for well over an hour because the streets were flooded out and we couldn't exit...and this was after midnight and I had just gotten off of an international flight and was exhausted and just wanted to go to sleep. Happy Travels!
Feb 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM

I think it all depends on the person's tolerance for heat. I'll take blazing hot over pouring rain any day. I don't mind an occassional shower to cool things off though. We're going to Malaysia/Thailand/Cambodia in late April/early May and the heat is the least of our concerns. Then again, I grew up in Atlanta and have traveled quite a bit through Mexico and Latin America in July/August. It can be uncomfortable at times, but that's what pools and oceans are for! The way I see it is that if we survived hiking through Tikal in July with 110 degree heat and 98% humidity, then we can handle Siem Reap with an air con car taking us from place to place!
Feb 7th, 2006, 04:06 AM

LAFadeaway - good attitude! I live in South florida and am used to heat and high humidity. (don't love it, but am used to it). People travelling to very hot climates should probably make their schedules a little lighter, allowing for breaks during the mid-afternoon or plan for frequent cold drink stops.
Feb 7th, 2006, 05:48 AM

I agree with LA - it is personal to each person. Even though I am from rainy cold old England, having taught in Ghana about 8 years ago - surviving the heat and humidity there with no air con nor a fan where I was living - SE Asia in April seemed like a breeze. In Ghana, it used to take us all day to get money in Barclays Bank if we used certain credit cards - but we didn't mind as the bank had air con - my friend and I used to take some books and sit in there all day happy as larry. However, I do think avoiding being out from 11 to 3 and using a driver would be advisable and obviously drinks lots of water.
Feb 7th, 2006, 06:47 AM

For me Bangkok during the hot season is hotter than what I experienced in Ghana. I was in Ghana 2003/2004/2005 and although it was hot,I would choose that weather over Bangkok. But, like someone said, it depends on what one is used to, but I assumed the original poster isn't used to the heat which is the reason for he/she posting as to how hot it will actually be. I have a friend who gets sick in extreme heat, but took a 3-week tour to Thailand in April and although it wasn't easy on her, she still survived it. April was the only time she could go since she had to find a time when her cousins could also go and they were all on an organized tour. Happy Travels!
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:47 AM

how funny that you found it the opposite to me, I guess our experiences vary depending on where we are staying and what we are doing. Teaching classes of 90 children aged 5 in a metal tin hut in the middle of the Volta region probably didn't help my experience of the heat in Ghana whereas air con hotels and swimming pools did in Bangkok.

Meyogore - if you decide to go, make sure you don't pack too much into your itinerary activity/sightseeing wise, nice and slow is the way to go!
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Bella...I wasn't in Lake Volta region, but was on the roads inland at times, but stayed basically in the downtown Accra area.Oh, Bella, if you want to read a really good Ghana travel story...go to travelpod.com and type in hooktravellers and Sandye's (from Africa forum) travel report will pop up...with photos and all. I helped her and her family, over a 5-month period plan their trip to Ghana. Her story has been voted number 1 on that website. Happy Travels!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO