Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Mt Fuji? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/tokyo-osaka-kyoto-mt-fuji-508189/)

Nate_77 Mar 1st, 2005 07:40 AM

Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Mt Fuji?

Hi
I am planning my first trip japan in may 05. I wanted to ask if 6nights in Tokyo and then if I took the bullet to Osaka for 4nights would be enough time to see each city ? In addition how easy would it be to spend a day in kyoto whilst in osaka ? would a day be enough? I am assuming train/metro is easiest. Is it also possible to go an visit mt fuji for half a day or less whilst in tokyo? Someone mentioned to me that it is possible to swim with dolphins... where abouts is this ? is it possible to do this in may ? Has anyone stayed at the Dai Ichi in tokyo ?
Apologies i have so many questions and am trying to find as many answers from the forum. Hope you can help

emd Mar 1st, 2005 07:51 AM

I am curious- why are you staying in Osaka instead of Kyoto? Do you have a particular interest in Osaka? We are doing it the other way around- Tokyo, then staying in Kyoto and doing a day trip to Osaka from there. There is plenty to do in Osaka as it is a big city, but I think Kyoto is probably more unique.
And assuming you are flying into Narita, what airport are you departing from?

Nate_77 Mar 1st, 2005 07:57 AM

I am in the process of booking. a friend of mine who lived in tokyo felt that we would enjoy osaka more as its more modern and day trip would be enough for kyoto. I am not sure. flying into tokyo via Narita and flying out via Kansai. I havent had a chance to read up on kyoto. What is there to see ?

emd Mar 1st, 2005 09:32 AM

Look at the Kyoto section on this website or other good websites, like www.japan-guide.com, and type kyoto in the search box here and look at the posts asking what to do and see in Kyoto.
Kyoto was not bombed in WWII and is a cultural and archtectural gem, but it is also a big, spread out city. Many good day trips from there also. You are already going to a big modern city, Tokyo. If it was me, I'd mix it up and go to a different kind of city (Kyoto) or even a few smaller towns (many here recommend Takayama and Shirakawago, or similar places) to get a sense of the other older style of Japan. You can get a day in Osaka on the way out since you are leaving from Kansai.
Personally, if I had 10 days, I'd probably split it 5 in Tokyo, 5 in other places (including the last day/night in Osaka), or maybe even 4 Tokyo and 5 in the other place/places. There is alot to do/see in Tokyo but it is frantic and there is so much to experience outside of Tokyo too.

Nate_77 Mar 2nd, 2005 12:50 AM

Thanks for the advice. I spent time reading on kyoto last nite and i see what you mean. was worried that osaka and tokyo would be too similar. Are there any hotels you could recommend in Kyoto ? Also does anyone know which area allows to swim with dolphins? Also fodors states that July is rainy season however the Rough Guide to Japan states this is in June. Does anyone know which month it is as my sister is going in july ?

Nate_77 Mar 2nd, 2005 06:15 AM

Can I take a train to Kyoto ? Does anyone have any suggestions in terms of a centrally located hotel perferably 4-5star. Also a friend of mine mentioned he stayed in a japanese style hotel i.e flatbed etc.. but couldnt remember where. does anyone have any suggestions ? as i think this would be interesting.

emd Mar 2nd, 2005 06:42 AM

There are lots of recommendations on this forum already in previous posts for Kyoto hotels. Put "Kyoto hotel" in the search box above and see what comes up. Problem w/Kyoto is the sights are spread out, so no hotel is really "central" to all the sights. We are staying on the exectuive club level at the Westin Miyako in eastern Kyoto (nice hotel, many on here stay there), close to a line that runs to the train station. Some people stay closer to the train station if they are doing day trips and want that convenience.
Can you take a train to Kyoto from where? Tokyo? Osaka? Yes, you can take a train from either place to Kyoto.

Nate_77 Mar 2nd, 2005 07:11 AM

thanks so much emd you have 'enlightened me'. have a great time in japan