I will be travelling to Japan for the first time in September and staying in Tokyo for a total of 4 nights. I will be staying in Akasaka three nights, and Shinjuku for one night (my last night in Japan after returning from Kyoto). I am looking for some suggestions and advice on what to do while I am there. I am sure that I will be jetlagged when I get there, but I am going to try to sleep on the plane and take over-the-counter sleep aids to adjust as soon as possible when I get there so that I can make the most of my time.
I know that I would like to experience the nightlife in Roppongi, and visit the Tsukiji Fish Market for sushi breakfast or lunch while I am there (should I see the fish auction as well?). Aside from that, I am still trying to figure out what to do. I am interested in experiencing the Japanese culture, cuisine, and seeing amazing architecture, and historical/traditional sites. I want to have experiences very different from what I would find in a major U.S. city. I would also like to get some great photos and spend a lot of time outside walking around. I am not too interested visiting inside museums. I will be getting a JR pass and taking the train to get around the city.
Here are some places that I am considering based on my research. Please let me know your thoughts. I am definitely open to other suggestions as well. Also, do you have any suggestions on souvenirs that I cannot get in the U.S?
Watch Sumo Wrestling Match
Yoyogi Park in Shibuya-ku
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
Roppongi Hills (observation deck)
Shinjuku (Golden Gai, Kabukicho, Kagurazaka, Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku Gyoen)
Dinner and Drinks in Ebisu
Akihabara (electronics stores and cafes)
Shibuya (shopping and entertainment around Shibuya Station, nightclubs, Hachiko Exit intersection)
Ginza (Sony building)
Day trip to Nikko
Thank you in advance for your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Comcast 1888:260:2909 password reset contact Tec*h 24/7
- 2 Trip Report: Mid November, 1 night Okayama, 2 nights Naoshima
- 3 (Short) side trips from Singapore
- 4 Japan in July with 20 year old
- 5 DuoSlim Garcinia Review
- 6 DuoSlim Garcinia
- 7 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 8 9 days in Japan in April
- 9 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 10 Kyushu Olle Course Trail Resource
- 11 6 Days in Thailand
- 12 Family trip to Thailand for Christmas and possibly New year
- 13 12 days in Cambodia January
- 14 Anti Malarial tablets in SE Asia
- 15 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan
- 16 Internet in SE Asia
- 17 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 18 Wat Arun
- 19 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 20 Question re. fees at BOM
- 21 best way to travel between Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and Siem Reap, Cambodia
- 22 Best guidebooks for SE Asia
- 23 Spa Bangkok
- 24 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 25 Using a Starling Bank card in SE Asia