Tokyo (cell phone, hotel) questions

Sep 6th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Tokyo (cell phone, hotel) questions

I taking a last-minute trip to Tokyo in the next week and had a few questions.

1. Has anyone tried the ANA free cell/mobile phone deal. It seems like an OK deal (the outbound calls are slightly expensive) but are there any catches to it? I would probably just use it in an emergency.

2. Are there any moderately-priced $70- to $130 hotels that are conveniently located?

3. Any easy and fun daytrip outside of Tokyo?

thanks
Sep 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Do a search here. I recall reading several posts where there were comments regarding different cell rentals. As I recall the ANA deal wasn't as good as some of the other offers.

There are lots of hotels in the higher end of your range, have you tried looking at Expedia or some of the other hotel sights? I saw quite a few hotels listed on the website I am using for airfare, www.gatewaylax.com and I am sure there are plenty of others.

I am thinking of taking a day trip to Hakone area when I am in Tokyo in October.

I think if you do some searches here on the topics you are asking about you will find quite a bit of info. I have been snooping around here planning my trip and there is a wealth of trip reports and previously asked questions. I picked up a Tokyo travel book at Barnes & Noble and it has lots of useful information on subways, hotels, neighborhoods and day trips. Look at this sites Destinations & Hotels section too. Have a great trip!
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM

I am going to Tokyo next week and staying at the Dai Ichi Hotel Annex. I got it for $125 per night, plus tax. It has favorable reviews, the location is good (Ginza), and the airport limousine bus stops right next door. I understand it is only a 10-15 minute walk to the famous fish market!
Sep 7th, 2006, 12:22 AM

As for day-trip suggestions, Hakone is nice--make sure you leave early in the morning as it's about 2-2.5hrs from Tokyo. Mountains, hot springs, Open Air sculpture museum, some historic sites, good hiking course, possible view of Mt Fuji if the weather is nice.

Closer to Tokyo is Kamakura, which used to be the capital city in 12-13th century. About 1-1.5hr south of Tokyo by train. Lots of beautiful temples and shrines (don't miss the bamboo temple), a back street with traditional handcraft and food shops, again nice areas for walking.

Nikko is north of Tokyo, about 2hrs by train. Main attraction is the shrine where the shoguns tombs are. Very ornate carvings. Also has a lake.

These three are the most popular destinations. If you enjoy outdoor/hiking, you can try mountains/valleys in western Tokyo like Mt Takao. Slightly further away but doable if you take the bullet train are Nagano areas--lovely country side. If you enjoy wine/whisky, Suntory winery/distillery in Yamanashi is another choice, though slightly less convenient. Or Mashiko north of Tokyo for potteries.
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:49 AM
emd

soymilk, I researched the ANA phone deal extensively along w/other phone deals on my recent trip. ANA is not "free" and when I added it all up, it was less expensive to go with the service that would deliver the phone right to my hotel (I used Rentafone) rather than having to stop at the airport to pick it up. Also, w/rentafone I was able to mail it back from our hotel the last night in the prepaid evelope and didn't need to drop it off at the airport.
Sep 7th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

EMD: how was the service not "free"? What were the extras taht you ended up paying for? It seems like u will get charged only if you make outbound calls, per what I've read.

Thanks for the hotel suggestions everyone, keep them coming.

I am planning this trip in a very short time and don't have much time to research. I am thinking of staying at either Shiba Park hotel or Shinjuku washington. Both got decent reviews. IS there one that is slightly better than others?
Sep 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM
emd

I see now that you are not planning on making any calls on the phone; I assume you are only going to receive incoming calls, which are free. It was the outbound calls that I was referring to. I did not make many but I did call home to the U.S. a few times and I called my daughter's cell (she was with me in Japan and I had a phone for her also), and calls add up fast.