Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   TOKYO BASEBALL?? (Giants??) (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/tokyo-baseball-giants-1665075/)

ekscrunchy Mar 23rd, 2019 09:35 AM

TOKYO BASEBALL?? (Giants??)

One of the two persons taking a Japan trip is a fanatic Yankee fan. I think it would be fun to go to a game in Tokyo. Is there anything I need to know about securing tickets to a Giants game? I suppose the better seats would be preferred since tickets are not so costly as compared to the US and this is a once-in-a-lifetime event for us.

Should I get the tix through concierge? Can I get good seats a few days ahead of time?
I do not yet have my restaurants booked, and will be booking some of them ahead of arrival, so would like to have some leeway....

Any comments from people who have attended a game would be most welcome...

Also, are there any inexpensive (under $10US gifts that I might bring with me from the US and which might be appreciated by locals? I imagine that cheap gifts are not the greatest and that Japanese locals can buy most anything, but if I do bring a few gifts to so far unknown persons but perhaps a guide, or someone I meet that I would like to give a gift, is there anything you all can think of??) Yes, I know that tips are not customary and that I do not NEED to bring a gift.

Our plan is 6 nights (these are more or less) Tokyo, two nights Kanazawa, one night in an onsen spa hotel, Kayotei in Ishikawa prefecture) and about 8 nights Kyoto.

curiousgeo Mar 23rd, 2019 10:23 AM

Baseball is truly the national sport in Japan and tickets are very hard to come by. We were lucky to obtain online seats way in the outfield for the Swallows vs Stars at Meiji Jingu stadium next week.

Not even sure which fan section we will be seated in, home team or visitors lol. Looking forward to learning the team and player cheers, and will root for whichever team of the fans we are sitting with.

ekscrunchy Mar 23rd, 2019 10:53 AM

Yes, I would love to learn the cheers and would prefer to be seated with the home team. The fun will probably be more in the crowd than in the actual game, for me at least and I suspect for partner. On TripAdvisor they say that tickets are not so hard to come by, so now I learn from you (thank you!!) that this might not be the case. Thank you!!

Shall I buy the tickets soon, for a visit in mid-May, for the Giants?? I know there are sites that sell these, or I can go through concierge at the Tokyo hotel..

We arrive on 7 May (planned to arrive after Golden Week and abdication) and depart on the 13th for Kanazawa.) So the game could be on 10, 11 or 12 May vs Swallows. Might be a tough ticket, no??

curiousgeo Mar 23rd, 2019 11:03 AM

Perhaps I should amend my hard to get tickets a bit. They were hard to come by for the week we are visiting, Giants were sold out and Swallows had a few seats for one night of the home stand. It’s a long season so they may be more available for your travel dates.

Go to the Giants website to see if tickets are for sale and check with your concierge as well. They may have their own contacts. Good luck, hope you get to attend a game. Let us know if you are successful and how easy or difficult it was for you.

FromDC Mar 23rd, 2019 03:37 PM

Your trip is coming up soon, wonderful. I bought tickets on the website (4 or 5 years ago). I found out when they were going on sale and made sure I was on th site the very minute they became available. I researched sections in advance so I knew what my priorities were. No hesitation, bought them immediately. Then out of curiosity, I went back on the website a while later and they were mostly sold out. Bottoms line, do the research ASAP. If that doesn’t work, write to the concierge.

curiousgeo Mar 23rd, 2019 05:24 PM

Just an aside, we found out Eric Clapton is playing a five night stand at the Budokan the week after we leave. Now that would have made for a great two nights in Tokyo, baseball and music.

ekscrunchy Mar 26th, 2019 09:52 AM

Ok..baseball tickets are obviously best bought, as FromDC said, above, the minute they go on sale. I'm not sure when they were put up for my dates in early May, but by now the best seats are sold out. I went through the concierge at the hotel, who has informed me that only the FC, and lesser,, seats are still available. So I've requested those for a night game. Once I learn the exact seat numbers, I can put them up here. Since we really have no interest in who wins, seeing the game will not be as important as it would be back home. We'd just like to have the experience, see the fans, the stadium, and all else apart from the game itself, which is vs The Swallows.

curiousgeo Mar 26th, 2019 10:27 AM

Great news, glad your concierge was able to help. Enjoy your uniquely Japanese experience of America’s game.

mrwunrfl Mar 27th, 2019 05:56 PM

That Swallows vs Bay Stars game at Meiji Jingu Stadium would be a home game for the Swallows, so if you have an outfield seat then right field would be where the home fans would be. Likely to be a good amount of Stars fans who only have to travel from Yokohama, so you can root with them if you are in left.

mrwunrfl Mar 27th, 2019 06:13 PM

The Swallows vs Giants games on May 10,11,12 are at Tokyo Dome, so Giants home game. You definitely won't get rain delayed or rained out.

StubHub has tickets to those games. The lowest price tickets available are labeled "Left Giants Fan Seat". The are in several sections left field.

ekscrunchy Mar 28th, 2019 04:59 AM

I now have seats at Tokyo Dome for the Swallows game...maybe this is like Yankees vs Mets (??)

Unfortunately, by the time of purchase, even the FC seats were gone.

So this is where we will be; note the 'good thing."

This is the confirmation I received..it's charming, really. Does "upper class" mean seating area higher/further from field than FC? Or does it mean better class? I think the former.

<1) We have purchase the official YG Seat (upper class ticket of FC seat) and it was available the time we purchased the tickets.

2) Tickets officer informed us that Good thing about this seat is Giants Support team side seats.

Support team cheer for each Giant player with music and it is Japanese version so that you and your husband will enjoy with this experience as well.

3) The ticket Total fee is JPY 9,016 (Done Payment on 27 March 2019 AMEX Credit Card)

Description JPY 8,000 (JPY 4,000 per ticket) plus JPY 216 (Ticket Handling fee) Plus JPY 800 (10% Ticket Handling fee)

4) Special Amenity: Next to Gate 24 - Please bring your tickets: Period: 15:30 until Bottom of 6th inning.>

These are the seats; I cannot find them on the chart I have for the ballpark:

Special Amenity: Next to Gate 24 - Please bring your tickets:

Period: 15:30 until Bottom of 6th inning.

Seat: YG Seat – Gate 24 B42 Block - 1F-44Row Seat #381 #382

Number of persons: 2 adults

Price: JPY 4,000 per person per adult

ekscrunchy Mar 28th, 2019 09:35 AM

Also, please: The district of Kagurazaka sounds interesting and appears to be not far from the T Dome. Is it within walking distance of the Dome? Would this be a worthwhile area to explore on foot before a game, or even after a game, on a Saturday?

The area is recommended in the Terrior Food Guide. (I've signed on for a tour with the author, Yukari Sakamoto, for another day--a million thanks to FromDC for that tip!!)

curiousgeo Mar 28th, 2019 09:43 AM

Kagurazaka is a great area to explore, retains some of the charm of old Tokyo. Lots of small shops and restaurants, especially bistros as quite a few French expats have settled there. There is a nice old geisha area lined with cobblestone streets, nice to wander these back streets.

ekscrunchy Mar 28th, 2019 11:56 AM

THANKS so much!! Would you know how close the area is to Tokyo Dome? Walking distance? I already booked a table for lunch in Nihonbashi at 12:30 (knowing that we would not have time for a long dinner that evening) but maybe we should go to Kagurazaka directly after lunch, and before heading to the game?? I love the idea of seeing the "old Tokyo" architecture juxtaposed against all the modern businesses..

mrwunrfl Mar 28th, 2019 05:11 PM

I found a seat map that showed where you are (maybe) at and wrote a post describing it with a link but lost it! The seats are field level in the upper sections, down 3rd base line.

I think it is like Yankees/Mets, where the Giants are the Yankees, of course. For the Giants, the Osaka Tigers would be the Red Sox equivalent.

The Yakult Swallows are one of the most beloved Japanese baseball teams and are held in deep affection by many fans. The Tokyo Yakult Swallows play their games at the time honored Meiji Jingu Stadium, the second oldest ballpark in Japan, with all areas of the stadium steeped in history.The Yakult Swallows are not as successful in terms of trophies as their cross town and Central League rivals, the Tokyo Yomiuri Giants. The Giants have huge financial clout while the Swallows represent the ordinary 'everyman' in many ways, who has endured in life but is still optimistic.

jacketwatch Mar 28th, 2019 11:39 PM

In 2014 wee took in a game at:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiji_Jingu_Stadium
It was a great game between the Giants and Swallows. The atmosphere here was near electric and I thoroughly enjoyed.
I forgot exactly how I got my tickets but I searched on line and found a place here and guess what the person I spoke to was the son of formers Dodgers exec Buzzy Bavasi. The tickets were delivered to our hotel as promised.
If you get a chance try seeing a game in Jingu stadium.

ekscrunchy Mar 29th, 2019 06:15 AM

Those are GREAt analogies about the two teams. Both of you are very helpful and your comments have made me really eager to attend the game.
The gift shop looks like a great spot to pick up gifts for baseball fans back home. I looked at the prices I saw in an online photo...the items are expensive but not as much as they charge at Yankee stadium, apparently.

jacketwatch Mar 29th, 2019 01:40 PM

https://www.japanballtickets.com/about_us.html
It was in 2014 when we went but I am pretty sure this in the website we used.
Our tickets were waiting for us at our hotel.

HappyTrvlr Mar 30th, 2019 12:59 PM

Eckscrunchy, my spouse is a lifelong Yankees fan too and we tried to get baseball tickets but our dates do not work. Lucky you!
However, I was able to book a food focused tour with Yukari Sakamoto who wrote FOOD SAKE TOKYO and we are excited to spend time time with her exploring Tokyo.

gailscout Mar 30th, 2019 02:19 PM

You will have a wonderful time, Eckscrunchy! Me and my husband, SF Giants fans, went with our friends, A's fans, and really enjoyed the atmosphere. It will be very loud, and the seats are smaller than what you are used to, but it will non-stop noise and action. Baseball, cheerleaders, chanting for both teams - at designated times, whisky & soda as well as beer sold throughout the stadium while you watch. We had to leave at the 6th inning as we had dinner reservations, but I would have stayed for a good walk around the stadium. The scoreboard has little English and you may not know who the batter is - but each teams' cheer section are full of chants, signs, flags and fun outfits. Bring binoculars if you can as the Giants cheer section is in right field and the visitor cheer section in left field - with musical instruments. We saw the Carp last April (far from our seats) and I swear they had a brass band!