Tokyo, Bangkok, & Krabi - Need Trip Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, Asia. Hubby and I have been talking about planning a trip to Asia for YEARS - and now I think it's finally happening!!

We are a young couple planning our first trip to Asia for our 5th wedding anniversary (July 2009). May not be the best time weather-wise, but that's what we've got to work with.

We want to hit Tokyo, Bangkok, and Krabi - namely the Layana Resort which we've heard so many amazing things about.

We will have about 2 weeks total for the trip (including flying time). Wish it was longer, but that's what we've got. First, any suggestions on what order we should visit these cities? Second, any suggestions on airlines and routes?

Thanks in advance for your help. I have been learning so much from this board. We almost decided against Thailand after the recent airport closures, but have decided to take a chance and do it. With trip insurance.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM

If you're coming from the US, many carriers fly through Narita in Japan. You could stay there either at the beginning (my suggestion) or the end. Many US carriers will work. However, the Narita-Bangkok leg gets in around midnight and the BKK-Narita flights leave early in the morning. Therefore, I suggest that you do the following:

Tokyo-4 days
BKK-2 days
Beach-4 days
BKK-2 days

In Thailand, you will fly through Bangkok to get to Krabi (BTW, in July, the weather is much better in Ko Samui than Krabi).

Also, two weeks from the US is only 12 days in Asia.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info GPanda!!
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to add, I have read that the weather will be better in Ko Samui, I will check it out as well.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM

I agree that making a stopover in Tokyo on the outbound trip makes most sense. Instead of connecting to an afternoon flight that arrives late at night you can get a morning departure a few days later that arrives BKK in the afternoon.

Tokyo is supposed to be very hot and humid in July.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 01:59 AM

Hi

My wife and I have been on vacations to both Tokyo and Bangkok and maybe you can find some useful info in our trip reports with pictures http://gardkarlsen.com/japan_tokyo.htm and http://gardkarlsen.com/Bangkok_trip_report_2007.htm . Get in touch if you have any questions

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures