Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Tokyo & Kyoto: Autumn colored maple leaves in November?

Apr 1st, 2004, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Where can we see the beautiful autumn colors in the Tokyo/ Kyoto areas?

Apr 1st, 2004, 09:25 AM

In kyoto, you can go right out side of town. We were there end of October and were too early. I understand the middle of november is usually the best time to go.

Many of the temples do their night lighting this time of year also, so it is a good time to visit.

I just got the name of a nice Ryokan with outdoor bathing in the hilly area outside Kyoto. I'll find it and post later.
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:48 PM

The trees at Ginkakuji in Kyoto and near Todaiji in Nara are colorful toward the end of November. Not sure if they are maples.
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:00 PM

To see autumn color in Kyoto, definitely go to Sagano. only 15min by tram from Kinkakuji Temple. Beautiful color all over the hill around with river next to you.
Check the following link. Although it's in Japanese, you can click the photo section to see the pictures of Autumn leaves:
http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/people/b.../8photoes.html

Also, you can take the scenic train. Check it out:
http://www.sagano-kanko.co.jp/eng/index.htm
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM

Hi. This isn't in reply as to where, but just to let you know that all the Japanese too go to Kyoto at that time of year so be sure to make reservations early.Hotels can be at a premium during fall follage season in Kyoto, especially more so during the weekends. Tokyo won't be a problem in that regards, but any place outside of Tokyo such as Nikko will be a problem for hotels and traveling around even. I went once to Nikko/Kegon Falls area and there were signs posted advising people not to take a bus to up to see the falls because they'd surely miss the train back to Tokyo because the road was so jammed. Travel during the week won't be so crowded. I hope you time it right, as they leaves are pretty. Even parks and streets located in Tokyo are nice.

May 11th, 2004, 02:36 AM

We were in Kyoto two years ago in November and I was concerned that we would be too late for the autumn foliage, but that was not the case.

We saw the most wonderful autumn display, particularly at the Imperial Village of Shugaku-in, and also along the Philosophers' Walk.

I agree also with the other posters - make sure you book a hotel room.

On our previous trip, (we spent time in both Tokyo and Kyoto) I was responsible for the Tokyo hotel booking, and my husband was taking care of the Kyoto booking. In his infinite wisdom, he just expected to waltz into the JNTO office on arrival and be able to get a hotel no worries. Well, was he in for a shock! Because the autumn foliage also draws many Japanese tourists, there wasn't a room to be had in town. We eventually got a budget hotel room, but I was NOT happy with him!

We are about to go back for another visit, and this time will see it in spring. But I have the most wonderful memories of the autumn colours, and I don't even like cool weather!
May 11th, 2004, 02:37 AM

Oops - make that "Imperial VILLA"
May 11th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Another great place to see beautiful fall foliage in Kyoto is Sento Gosho (palace) which is right next to the Imperial Palace. It's a beautiful garden. You get tickets at the same place as the Imperial Palace. If I remember correctly, there were only tours in Japanese but it was still worth seeing. Here's a website with some photos.

http://www.japannet.de/kyoto/naka/sento.html