Reload this Page >

Tips for Koh Samui

Search

Tips for Koh Samui

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:27 AM
vince

Tips for Koh Samui

I am going to ko samui in a couple of weeks and if any one has any tips they could share with me it would be appriciated.<BR>Things like, What to see? where to eat?,what to avoid? I will be staying around Bophut beech on the north of the island.<BR>Thanks<BR>Vince

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:28 AM
Graeme

I do not know alot about Bo phut, but I can tell you that most of the action on the island is at Chaweng beach. If you are there for peace and quiet, Bo phut is probably a good idea. You can easily travel between the islands by a taxi truck of a lot of tourists rent motorbikes. Although, I've heard that there are a lot of motorcyle accidents caused by tourists. For food I would suggest Will Wait. It's a bakery/restaurant with great food and better pastries. There is one in Chaweng and Lamai, but the Chaweng one is much better. For things to do, I loved a sea kayaking trip I took through the National Marine Park. I went through Blue Stars Kayaking in Chaweng, which is a reputable place. I would also recommend a thai cooking class at SITCA (Samui Institute of Culinary Arts) if cooking is your thing at all. Also, for a better beach and more of a party atmosphere, take a short boat ride to Koh Phangnan.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 10:50 PM
John

Stayed at the Samui Palm Beach resort last March. At Bophut try Star Fish or the Happy Elephant for food, both are excellent.<BR>As for driving, being from the UK posed no problems as they drive on the same side as us, we hired a jeep for a week with no problems.<BR>If you want to go on any tours (island hopping)shop around as prices vary greatly.<BR>Bophut was one of the best beaches on the island, water was calm, beach very clean and hawkers friendly

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Laurel

Another reccomendation for Starfish & Coffee (if you're going with a daughter or girlfriend - watch out for those waiters, they can be very charming!!)<BR>Also Cafe del Mar is v nice for breakfast, it's has lots of guide books you can browse and is very relaxed. <BR>We went out in Chaweng on night to goto the famous (or should that be infamous) Green Mango, but were glad to be able to escape back to the peace and tranquility of Bophut.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:24 PM
NT

In Samui, seeing a monkey show in a "real" plantation along the main road is recommended. Because of these monkeys, 3 million coconuts are exported to Bangkok monthly. Make sure you try fresh coconut juice there. Also, don't miss the "sexual" grandparents rocks (go see them yourself) at Lamai's southern tip, and if you like something strange, see a Mummified monk at Wat Khunaram west of Hua Thanon. However, the best thing to do there is to take a day trip to Angthong National Marine Park where scenery is the most beautiful in the Gulf of Thailand.<BR>I am Thai and I think those huge seafood restaurants in Chaweng are best avoided as the food is not that fresh. If you don't mind sitting like a local, Bigjew near Nathon is the best place for seafood. Other good restaurants are Andaluz in Chaweng for Tapas and Vimarnmek at Santiburi Dusit Resort, the best hotel on the island. Samui has excellent dining and spa guides that you can take from any major hotel.<BR>I hope you will be flying from Bangkok. DO NOT take the ferry from the mainland from Donsak. It is very slow and ridiculously dirty.<BR>Finally, if you are searching for a slice of paradise, take a ferry to Ko Phangan or, if time permits, to Koh Tao (2 hours from Samui) and then transfer to Ko Nangyuan where the sand causeway connects three islands together. Nangyuan is probably the most beautiful island in this part of Thailand, and water there is much clearer than that in Samui.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Srah Rey

Koh Samui from Bangkok is now about B 6,700 return, plus Koh Samui's 'famous' B 400 departure tax, expect a return fare of about US$170 return pp